LAS VEGAS -- Two of the three fights Floyd Mayweather Jr. has had on his six-fight Showtime/CBS contract -- Robert Guerrero and Marcos Maidana -- failed to reach the benchmark 1-million buy mark, the figure Mayweather has said is a big deal.
But both of those bouts were organized with little room to spare and resulted in poor promotions that got off to a slow start without a media tour.
The one fight that surged past 2 million buys and set the all-time pay-per-view revenue record was his showdown with Canelo Alvarez. That fight included a 10-city tour. I strongly believe the excitement created by the tour across the country gave the promotion a massive jolt and was a big factor in helping it set multiple records, even though it was a hot fight from the moment it was announced.
Mayweather announced Thursday that he will fight Maidana again on Sept. 13 at the MGM Grand, but this time there will be a five-city tour -- something the fight really needs if Mayweather has a prayer to bolster his sagging pay-per-view numbers. I think it can only help stoke interest in the rematch of what was an excellent fight in May, albeit a close but clear win for Mayweather, who unified welterweight titles.
The tour stops are all open and free to the public (first come, first served). Here's a rundown on the particulars if you are interested in checking out any of the stops. If you've never been, these tour stops are a lot of fun.
• Monday, noon ET: New York at the pedestrian walk in Times Square between 42nd and 43rd Streets.
• Monday, 6:30 p.m. ET: Washington, D.C. at DAR Constitution Hall. A performance by rapper and D.C. native Wale will follow the press conference.
• Tuesday, 11 a.m. CT: Chicago at the Auditorium Theatre.
• Tuesday, 6 p.m. CT: San Antonio at Six Flags Fiesta Texas’ Lone Star Lil's Amphitheater.
• Thursday, noon ET: Los Angeles at Pershing Square.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/03 -- Cage Rage III
Through all changes that have happened over the last few months, it is good to see that at least one thing remai...
- 2014/07/23 -- Ranking Boxing’s Best Knockouts of 2014 so Far
*****Ranking Boxing's Best Knockouts of 2014 so Far*****
I told us:
Knockouts can transform good boxers ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Miguel Cotto ends reign of Sergio Martinez as Argentine fails to emerge for 10th round
Miguel Cotto made history in New York as he claimed the WBC middleweight belt by emphatically dethroning Sergio ...
- 2014/07/04 -- From the Shooto Association press secretary
SHOOTO Quarterly Report (part 1):
The first part of the year has come and gone, and we are already a cou...
- 2014/07/20 -- Willie Nelson opponent named: Luis Grajeda
On August 8, DiBella Entertainment and Dynasty Boxing, in association with Rumble Time Promotions, will head to ...
- 2014/07/23 -- Tyson Fury to fight Alexander Ustinov after Chisora withdrawal
BBC says seriously ;):
***Tyson Fury to fight Alexander Ustinov after Chisora withdrawal***
Tyson Fury wi...
- 2014/07/04 -- Lightning Strikes Twice
KOKOMO, IN--Last year, Donnie Michaels brought us the first Cage Rage in Kokomo and surprised everyone with a we...
- 2014/07/19 -- Bellator 123 to Include Curran-‘Pitbull’ Title Fight, TNA Champ Lashley, ‘King Mo’
Bellator MMA is going all-in for its head-to-head showdown with the Ultimate Fighting Championship on Sept. 5.
- 2014/07/20 -- UFC Bantamweight Queen Ronda Rousey Named ‘Best Female Athlete’ at 2014 ESPYs
UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has added another accolade to her name, winning the 2014 ESPY for...
- 2014/07/19 -- Mayweather v Maidana temperature rising
I found it interesting to watch the war of words and antics between former welterweight champion Marcos Maidana ...
- 2014/07/20 -- Cage Fury Fighting Championships Acquires Xtreme Fight Events, Inks Deal With SNY
On Friday, officials from Cage Fury Fighting Championships announced a deal that would merge the promotion with...