LAS VEGAS — Two of the three fights Floyd Mayweather Jr. has had on his six-fight Showtime/CBS contract — Robert Guerrero and Marcos Maidana — failed to reach the benchmark 1-million buy mark, the figure Mayweather has said is a big deal.
But both of those bouts were organized with little room to spare and resulted in poor promotions that got off to a slow start without a media tour.
The one fight that surged past 2 million buys and set the all-time pay-per-view revenue record was his showdown with Canelo Alvarez. That fight included a 10-city tour. I strongly believe the excitement created by the tour across the country gave the promotion a massive jolt and was a big factor in helping it set multiple records, even though it was a hot fight from the moment it was announced.
Mayweather announced Thursday that he will fight Maidana again on Sept. 13 at the MGM Grand, but this time there will be a five-city tour — something the fight really needs if Mayweather has a prayer to bolster his sagging pay-per-view numbers. I think it can only help stoke interest in the rematch of what was an excellent fight in May, albeit a close but clear win for Mayweather, who unified welterweight titles.
The tour stops are all open and free to the public (first come, first served). Here’s a rundown on the particulars if you are interested in checking out any of the stops. If you’ve never been, these tour stops are a lot of fun.
• Monday, noon ET: New York at the pedestrian walk in Times Square between 42nd and 43rd Streets.
• Monday, 6:30 p.m. ET: Washington, D.C. at DAR Constitution Hall. A performance by rapper and D.C. native Wale will follow the press conference.
• Tuesday, 11 a.m. CT: Chicago at the Auditorium Theatre.
• Tuesday, 6 p.m. CT: San Antonio at Six Flags Fiesta Texas’ Lone Star Lil’s Amphitheater.
• Thursday, noon ET: Los Angeles at Pershing Square.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/19 -- Weidman Proves Mettle Once More, Beats Machida
LAS VEGAS, July 5 – If anyone ever says that a championship belt doesn’t mean anything, they obviously never saw...
- 2014/07/19 -- Amir Khan released on bail after being arrested on suspicion of two assaults
Former two-time world champion Amir Khan has been released on bail after being arrested on suspicion of two assa...
- 2014/07/19 -- Roy Jones Jr. to fight in Latvia
Former pound-for-pound king and four-division titleholder Roy Jones Jr. is scheduled to fight again.
- 2014/07/19 -- Donald Cerrone vs. Jim Miller full fight video highlights
Round 1: Well, this is expected to be a wild one...here we go. Dan Miragliotta is the ref. They touch gloves, an...
- 2014/07/18 -- The Many Motivations of Brad Pickett
I’m down here for a reason, and I’m very focused on that reason. My focus is trying to beat McCall. Beat McCall,...
- 2014/07/20 -- Tony Bellew quick to re-open war of words with Nathan Cleverly
Tony Bellew reignited his fierce rivalry with Nathan Cleverly seconds after his fifth round stoppage of Julio Ce...
- 2014/07/20 -- Injuries were a blessing in disguise heading into UFC Fight Night 45
Lucas Martins had his last two UFC fights canceled due to injuries, but that turned out to be great for the Chut...
- 2014/07/18 -- Alistair Overeem, Ben Rothwell Paired for UFC Fight Night in Connecticut
Alistair Overeem and Ben Rothwell are set to tangle when the Ultimate Fighting Championship heads to Connecticu...
- 2014/07/18 -- Muhammad Ali gloves on block again
The boxing gloves Muhammad Ali wore in the first fight of his famed trilogy with Joe Frazier, 1971's Fight of th...
- 2014/07/20 -- Will Mayweather fight Pacquiao in 2015?
Although Freddie Roach and his new trainee Miguel Cotto are interested for a rematch, they prefer that Mayweathe...
- 2014/07/20 -- Fortunes changed for five at UFC Fight Night 45
Matchmaking usually isn't so easy when it comes to people at the top of their divisions.
You have to balance ou...