LAS VEGAS -- Two of the three fights Floyd Mayweather Jr. has had on his six-fight Showtime/CBS contract -- Robert Guerrero and Marcos Maidana -- failed to reach the benchmark 1-million buy mark, the figure Mayweather has said is a big deal.
But both of those bouts were organized with little room to spare and resulted in poor promotions that got off to a slow start without a media tour.
The one fight that surged past 2 million buys and set the all-time pay-per-view revenue record was his showdown with Canelo Alvarez. That fight included a 10-city tour. I strongly believe the excitement created by the tour across the country gave the promotion a massive jolt and was a big factor in helping it set multiple records, even though it was a hot fight from the moment it was announced.
Mayweather announced Thursday that he will fight Maidana again on Sept. 13 at the MGM Grand, but this time there will be a five-city tour -- something the fight really needs if Mayweather has a prayer to bolster his sagging pay-per-view numbers. I think it can only help stoke interest in the rematch of what was an excellent fight in May, albeit a close but clear win for Mayweather, who unified welterweight titles.
The tour stops are all open and free to the public (first come, first served). Here's a rundown on the particulars if you are interested in checking out any of the stops. If you've never been, these tour stops are a lot of fun.
• Monday, noon ET: New York at the pedestrian walk in Times Square between 42nd and 43rd Streets.
• Monday, 6:30 p.m. ET: Washington, D.C. at DAR Constitution Hall. A performance by rapper and D.C. native Wale will follow the press conference.
• Tuesday, 11 a.m. CT: Chicago at the Auditorium Theatre.
• Tuesday, 6 p.m. CT: San Antonio at Six Flags Fiesta Texas’ Lone Star Lil's Amphitheater.
• Thursday, noon ET: Los Angeles at Pershing Square.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/19 -- George Groves to fight Sept. 20
Super middleweight contender George Groves is not dwelling on his knockout loss to Carl Froch in their super mid...
- 2014/07/19 -- Pros react to Donald Cerrone vs. Jim Miller, Edson Barboza vs. Evan Dunham, more
The last time the UFC traveled to Atlantic City, Gray Maynard and Clay Guida didn't exactly give the New Jersey ...
- 2014/07/21 -- Toughest jobs in sports: Sparring partner for Manny Pacquiao
Jeff Eisenberg writes for us:
VENTURA, Calif. — Moments after going five rounds with a sparring partner w...
- 2014/07/20 -- Cage Fury Fighting Championships Acquires Xtreme Fight Events, Inks Deal With SNY
On Friday, officials from Cage Fury Fighting Championships announced a deal that would merge the promotion with...
- 2014/11/04 -- Fight Night at Broadripple Place
Fort Wayne, IN. The Danger Zone organization presented it's second show at Broadripple Place on Sunda...
- 2014/07/20 -- WBC, Telmex sponsorship announced
The World Boxing Council and the Nevada Community Foundation have announced a historic agreement between the WBC...
- 2014/07/06 -- UFC 175 Quick Results
It’s 4th of July weekend and the UFC is putting on 2 events in 2 days in Las Vegas, Nevada; starting with UFC 1...
- 2014/07/19 -- Half-Year Awards: The Knockouts
It’s always the toughest category to whittle down to just five picks, but it’s also the most enjoyable to work w...
- 2014/07/23 -- Fleeing Mantis Erislandy Lara on Pay-Per-View? Someone Call Bunco Squad
By Ivan G. Goldman
***Fleeing Mantis Erislandy Lara on Pay-Per-View? Someone Call Bunc...
- 2014/07/19 -- The Downes Side: UFN Atlantic City Predictions
That’s right boys and girls, it’s time for another edition of the Downes Side! I know last week may have been di...
- 2014/07/19 -- WBA/WBO champion Rigondeaux vows more aggression; calls out WBC and IBF champs
Undefeated unified junior featherweight world champion and Cuban sensation Guillermo “El Chacal” Rigondeaux (13-...