Tyson Fury has withdrawn from Saturday night’s heavyweight fight with Belarusian Alexander Ustinov.
The 25-year-old pulled out of the bout after his uncle and first trainer Hughie fell seriously ill and was taken to hospital.
Promoter Frank Warren, who had already seen Fury’s initial opponent Dereck Chisora withdraw due to injury, said: “I’m very, very, disappointed.”
Warren added that Fury would now fight Chisora at a later date.
The event in Manchester will go ahead with Hatfield’s Billy Joe Saunders’ clash with Italian Emanuele Blandamura for the vacant European Middleweight title now the main fight.
Fury had vowed never to fight Chisora after he pulled out with a fractured hand. But promoters told BBC Sport he was contractually obligated to do so and Warren added: “We will be announcing the rescheduled date for Chisora v Fury next week.”
Hughie Fury was taken ill after the weigh in on Friday. Warren said: “After Dereck Chisora pulled out because of his hand injury, we worked very hard to secure a world ranked opponent in Ustinov.
“It’s sad that Tyson’s uncle Hughie is in a serious condition and our thoughts are with him. The show will still go ahead and as before it’s a great card.”
Ustinov was perceived to be a very different proposition from Chisora. He has lost just one of 29 fights and is seven inches taller and four stones heavier than Londoner Chisora.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/19 -- Kevin Croom In Action Tonight, Poised To Push Winning Streak To Nine
It has been nearly three-months since Kevin Croom last fought and that will be the longest lay-off for the Albuq...
- 2014/07/19 -- Nicola Adams suffers shock European Championships defeat
Nicola Adams suffered her first defeat in almost two years as she crashed out of the European Championships at t...
- 2014/11/04 -- Freestyle Combat Challenge
Racine, WI The new year got off to a bang, in the Midwest, with Dave Stasser's "Freestyle Combat Challenge." Eve...
- 2014/07/23 -- Golovkin/Geale, Jennings/Perez New York City Media Workout Quotes
***Golovkin/Geale, Jennings/Perez New York City Media Workout Quotes***4
- 2014/07/20 -- Anthony Joshua makes quick work of Matt Skelton in Liverpool
British heavyweight Anthony Joshua enjoyed another short night, stopping veteran Matt Skelton in the second roun...
- 2014/07/19 -- WBA/WBO champion Rigondeaux vows more aggression; calls out WBC and IBF champs
Undefeated unified junior featherweight world champion and Cuban sensation Guillermo “El Chacal” Rigondeaux (13-...
- 2014/07/19 -- Dana White responds to Nate Diaz: ‘Sit out the rest of your career, it’s your decision’
The latest chapter in the ongoing saga between UFC president Dana White and the Diaz brothers is in the books.
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC Fight Night Albuquerque Tingley Coliseum Pre-Sale Tickets are Available, Here’s the Code!
UFC Fight Night Albuquerque Tickets are now on Pre-Sale, Get them before they are available to the public April ...
- 2014/07/20 -- Gleison Tibau wants to break Tito Ortiz’s UFC record by 2015
Gleison Tibau will become the lightweight with the most UFC fights Wednesday night, but that’s not the only reco...
- 2014/07/19 -- Dejan Zlaticanin beats Ricky Burns to win WBC International lightweight title in Glasgow
Ricky Burns failed to recover from a first-minute knockdown as he fell on points to Dejan Zlaticanin in their ba...
- 2014/07/20 -- Derry Mathews backs Luke Campbell to rule lightweight division
Derry Mathews has tipped Luke Campbell to become a future world champion ahead of his return to the ring.