Tyson Fury has withdrawn from Saturday night’s heavyweight fight with Belarusian Alexander Ustinov.
The 25-year-old pulled out of the bout after his uncle and first trainer Hughie fell seriously ill and was taken to hospital.
Promoter Frank Warren, who had already seen Fury’s initial opponent Dereck Chisora withdraw due to injury, said: “I’m very, very, disappointed.”
Warren added that Fury would now fight Chisora at a later date.
The event in Manchester will go ahead with Hatfield’s Billy Joe Saunders’ clash with Italian Emanuele Blandamura for the vacant European Middleweight title now the main fight.
Fury had vowed never to fight Chisora after he pulled out with a fractured hand. But promoters told BBC Sport he was contractually obligated to do so and Warren added: “We will be announcing the rescheduled date for Chisora v Fury next week.”
Hughie Fury was taken ill after the weigh in on Friday. Warren said: “After Dereck Chisora pulled out because of his hand injury, we worked very hard to secure a world ranked opponent in Ustinov.
“It’s sad that Tyson’s uncle Hughie is in a serious condition and our thoughts are with him. The show will still go ahead and as before it’s a great card.”
Ustinov was perceived to be a very different proposition from Chisora. He has lost just one of 29 fights and is seven inches taller and four stones heavier than Londoner Chisora.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/04 -- RSF Packs Them In
BELLEVILLE, IL--There are times that, despite a multitude of small short comings, the big event is a hug...
- 2014/07/20 -- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
The Good: There is not much good I can say about this fight if I am honest with myself. I do believe that Algier...
- 2014/07/20 -- UFC Bantamweight Queen Ronda Rousey Named ‘Best Female Athlete’ at 2014 ESPYs
UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has added another accolade to her name, winning the 2014 ESPY for...
- 2014/07/20 -- Olympic boxer Savannah Marshall targets gold in Commonwealth Games
World middleweight champion Savannah Marshall is hoping for redemption in this month’s Commonwealth Games.
- 2014/07/21 -- Thomas Dulorme Eyes Mauricio Herrera Showdown
Thomas Dulorme Eyes Mauricio Herrera Showdown
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the ma...
- 2014/07/19 -- Kantun looks to shine in U.S. debut Friday
Super flyweight Juan “El Loquito” Kantun (21-6-3, 15 KOs) of Merida, Yucatan, Mexico will make both his U.S. and...
- 2014/07/20 -- Catching Up With King Of The Cage Title Contender Cristobal Chavez Davila
The King of the Cage 135-pound Amateur Title was supposed to be on the line this Saturday night, April 19th, in ...
- 2014/07/20 -- By The Numbers: A Tribute to BJ Penn
If BJ Penn is not one of your all-time favorite fighters then you’re doing it wrong.
At UFC 31, a 22-year-old B...
- 2014/07/20 -- Invicta 8 to Air Exclusively on UFC FIGHT PASS
Las Vegas, Nevada – UFC FIGHT PASS, the UFC’s digital streaming service, is proud to announce UFCFIGHTPASS.com ...
- 2014/07/20 -- Nathan Cleverly wants to dish out another defeat to Tony Bellew
Nathan Cleverly has vowed to inflict another defeat on bitter rival Tony Bellew, but first he must get past Alej...
- 2014/07/20 -- Tapology Gives Insight To The Early Odds Of The Upcoming Legacy FC 30 Event
In just a few short weeks, the Legacy FC promotion will travel for the very first time to New Mexico where they ...