Tyson Fury has withdrawn from Saturday night’s heavyweight fight with Belarusian Alexander Ustinov.
The 25-year-old pulled out of the bout after his uncle and first trainer Hughie fell seriously ill and was taken to hospital.
Promoter Frank Warren, who had already seen Fury’s initial opponent Dereck Chisora withdraw due to injury, said: “I’m very, very, disappointed.”
Warren added that Fury would now fight Chisora at a later date.
The event in Manchester will go ahead with Hatfield’s Billy Joe Saunders’ clash with Italian Emanuele Blandamura for the vacant European Middleweight title now the main fight.
Fury had vowed never to fight Chisora after he pulled out with a fractured hand. But promoters told BBC Sport he was contractually obligated to do so and Warren added: “We will be announcing the rescheduled date for Chisora v Fury next week.”
Hughie Fury was taken ill after the weigh in on Friday. Warren said: “After Dereck Chisora pulled out because of his hand injury, we worked very hard to secure a world ranked opponent in Ustinov.
“It’s sad that Tyson’s uncle Hughie is in a serious condition and our thoughts are with him. The show will still go ahead and as before it’s a great card.”
Ustinov was perceived to be a very different proposition from Chisora. He has lost just one of 29 fights and is seven inches taller and four stones heavier than Londoner Chisora.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- Dereck Chisora and Tyson Fury agree to big-money bet ahead of rematch in Manchester
Dereck Chisora and Tyson Fury shook hands on a £100,000-bet on the outcome of their heavyweight rematch on...
- 2014/07/20 -- Interview: Heavyweight contender Lucas Browne
WBC #7, IBF #7, WBA #13 heavyweight Lucas “Big Daddy” Browne talks to Fightnews to say he is confident of defeat...
- 2014/07/19 -- Paul Smith says he will get his shot at Arthur Abraham in September
Paul Smith says he will get his world-title chance in September.
The Liverpudlian super-middleweight told Rings...
- 2014/07/20 -- For Barboza, Loss a Learning Experience
When you hear someone referred to as a “martial artist,” it’s easy to ignore the oxymoron of the term.
- 2014/07/19 -- Eric Kelly Choke Submits Rob Lisita in Second Round of One FC 18 Main Event
TAIPEI, Taiwan -- Eric Kelly and Rob Lisita went head-to-head the One Fighting Championship 18 “War of Dragons” ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Police to take no further action against Amir Khan following Bolton incident
Police will take no further action after investigating an incident which resulted in the arrest of boxer Amir Kh...
- 2014/07/19 -- No Peace – Smith KOs Duke in One
ATLANTIC CITY, NJ, July 16 - Bantamweight veteran Leslie Smith wasn’t much of a “Peacemaker” against The Ultimat...
- 2014/07/20 -- Legacy Fighting Championship 30 Announced For April 4th, Holly Holm To Headline Stacked Fight Card Against Julianna Werner
A press conference to announce the first Legacy Fighting Championship mixed martial arts card to take place in N...
- 2014/07/20 -- Pacquiao-Chris Algieri on Nov. 22
Manny Pacquiao versus Chris Algieri is a done deal.
Algieri and his co-promoters, Joe DeGuardia of Star Boxing ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Mayweather-Maidana II tour a good call
LAS VEGAS -- Two of the three fights Floyd Mayweather Jr. has had on his six-fight Showtime/CBS contract -- Robe...
- 2014/07/20 -- Palacios returns September 20
Former two time world title challenger Francisco “Wizard” Palacios (21-2, 13 KOs) returns to the ring on Septemb...