Mitchell Smith believes his performance in defeating previously unbeaten Peter Cope for the vacant English title on Wednesday underlines his status as one of boxing’s rising stars.
The 21-year-old floored Cope in the sixth round before claiming a unanimous points decision from the ringside judges.
Cope is the Harrow boxer’s second consecutive unbeaten scalp after his two-round demolition of Mark Evans in February and Smith is targeting more success in the next 12 months.
When I knocked the Welsh champion Mark Evans out in two rounds people starting asking questions about my ability to go 10 or 12 rounds, Smith told Sky Sports.
But I did 10 rounds tonight at a decent pace, I’m answering questions all the time and I’m ticking all the right boxes.
I’ve been a pro now two years and I’m doing things the traditional way, Southern Area, now the English and I’d like to challenge for the British in the next 12 months.
But it was a patient and mature performance tonight and I’m so happy to go down in history as having been an English champion.
Meanwhile, Frank Buglioni bounced back from the loss of his European belt to Sergei Khomitsky with a fine fourth-round stoppage victory over Sam Couzens.
A packed undercard at London’s York Hall also saw wins for Bradley Skeete, Gary Corcoran, Tom Baker and Romeo Romaeo.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- Tony Bellew quick to re-open war of words with Nathan Cleverly
Tony Bellew reignited his fierce rivalry with Nathan Cleverly seconds after his fifth round stoppage of Julio Ce...
- 2014/07/19 -- Bellator 123 to Include Curran-‘Pitbull’ Title Fight, TNA Champ Lashley, ‘King Mo’
Bellator MMA is going all-in for its head-to-head showdown with the Ultimate Fighting Championship on Sept. 5.
- 2014/07/23 -- Golovkin/Geale, Jennings/Perez New York City Media Workout Quotes
***Golovkin/Geale, Jennings/Perez New York City Media Workout Quotes***4
- 2014/07/19 -- Curtis Woodhouse announces his retirement from boxing
boxing on Ringside.
The 34-year-old has called time on his career for the second time after losing his British...
- 2014/07/18 -- Canelo to return in November, likely against Kirkland
The reported venue could be in San Antonio at the Alamadome where its capacity is 40,000 seats. Due to the cheap...
- 2014/07/20 -- Fab Five: Cerrone’s Defining UFC Moments
With nine UFC and five WEC post-fight bonuses to his name, Donald Cerrone is one of those fighters who makes it ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Garcia vs. Ramirez for vacant CA state title
Bobby D. Presents jumps back in action for the second time this month after a successful fight card last July 11...
- 2014/07/20 -- Willie Nelson opponent named: Luis Grajeda
On August 8, DiBella Entertainment and Dynasty Boxing, in association with Rumble Time Promotions, will head to ...
- 2014/07/20 -- Maidana turns 31 today; feels ready for upset of Mayweather
Maidana needs to win this fight or make it close like he did the last time if he wants to be able to continue to...
- 2014/07/20 -- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
The Good: There is not much good I can say about this fight if I am honest with myself. I do believe that Algier...
- 2014/07/20 -- George Groves targets world championship title before the end of the year
George Groves is aiming to bounce back from his defeat to Carl Froch by becoming a world champion before the end...