Mitchell Smith believes his performance in defeating previously unbeaten Peter Cope for the vacant English title on Wednesday underlines his status as one of boxing’s rising stars.
The 21-year-old floored Cope in the sixth round before claiming a unanimous points decision from the ringside judges.
Cope is the Harrow boxer’s second consecutive unbeaten scalp after his two-round demolition of Mark Evans in February and Smith is targeting more success in the next 12 months.
When I knocked the Welsh champion Mark Evans out in two rounds people starting asking questions about my ability to go 10 or 12 rounds, Smith told Sky Sports.
But I did 10 rounds tonight at a decent pace, I’m answering questions all the time and I’m ticking all the right boxes.
I’ve been a pro now two years and I’m doing things the traditional way, Southern Area, now the English and I’d like to challenge for the British in the next 12 months.
But it was a patient and mature performance tonight and I’m so happy to go down in history as having been an English champion.
Meanwhile, Frank Buglioni bounced back from the loss of his European belt to Sergei Khomitsky with a fine fourth-round stoppage victory over Sam Couzens.
A packed undercard at London’s York Hall also saw wins for Bradley Skeete, Gary Corcoran, Tom Baker and Romeo Romaeo.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/04 -- Intensity in Racine
RACINE, WI--Less than twenty four hours after his battle with Chris Lytle, just outside of St. Louis, Dave Stras...
- 2014/07/20 -- UFC 176’s Green-Trujillo, ‘Formiga’-Makovsky Bouts Moved to Aug. 16 Maine Card
Less than an hour after the Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the cancelation of UFC 176, two of the eve...
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC Fight Night – Albuquerque: Henderson vs. Khabilov Tickets on Sale Today
UFC Fight Night 43 – Albuquerque, Tingley Coliseum Tickets on Sale Today
Today, at 10am MT, Ticketmaster.com wi...
- 2014/07/18 -- The Many Motivations of Brad Pickett
I’m down here for a reason, and I’m very focused on that reason. My focus is trying to beat McCall. Beat McCall,...
- 2014/07/19 -- Victor Henry Takes Out Tokoro, Nam Phan Rebounds at Grandslam MMA ‘Way of the Cage’
If Victor Henry was brought to Japan to become a “W” on someone else’s record, nobody told the Californian.
- 2014/07/19 -- Miguel Cotto ends reign of Sergio Martinez as Argentine fails to emerge for 10th round
Miguel Cotto made history in New York as he claimed the WBC middleweight belt by emphatically dethroning Sergio ...
- 2014/11/04 -- Standing Room Only at Freestyle Combat Challenge 9
Racine, WI. The new year in mixed martial arts was, for the second year, brought in with a standing room only cr...
- 2014/11/04 -- THE LAST EYADA FILE
This has been a very emotional couple of weeks for me since eYada closed down on July 9. Sure, those who...
- 2014/07/19 -- Alex Arthur is backing Stephen Simmons to beat bitter rival Wadi Camacho
Alex Arthur is backing Stephen Simmons to do what he didn't do - and beat his bitter rival on home soil.
- 2014/07/19 -- Katie Taylor defeats Denitsa Eliseeva to make her sixth successive European final
Katie Taylor made it six European finals in a row as she got the better of Denitsa Eliseeva on Friday.
- 2014/07/19 -- Carlos Condit Featured On “New Mexico True Stories”
The New Mexico Tourism department does a fantastic job at promoting the state and all the amazing sites and adve...