Tony Bellew insists he is not thinking about Nathan Cleverly as the pair share top billing on July 12 at the Echo Arena in Liverpool, live on Sky Sports.
Bellew’s fight against rough opponent Brazilian Julio Santos is his sole focus for the coming fortnight – not revenge on Cleverly whom narrowly beat him in a WBO World title defence in October 2011.
“It's all about July 12, not about Nathan,” said Bellew.
“I cannot think about anything other than Julio Santos. He's a very, very durable and hard-punching Brazilian.
“I know he is strong, he has never been stopped and he does a little of everything. Fans come to see me because I stop people, and this guy is a solid proven cruiserweight so we'll see what I can do with him.”
In a night dubbed ‘Collision Course’ by promoter Eddie Hearn, Bellew is confident that his performance in Merseyside will be worth a watch – and is setting his sights high.
“I’ve settled into the weight perfectly and you’ll see a destructive performance on July 12.
“I want to close the season in style and push towards another World title shot.
“All I have ever been interested in is fighting the best in the business for the big belts, and if I have to beat Nathan to get to the top, then that will be the icing on the cake.”
Bellew and Cleverly lead a star-studded line up in Liverpool with local favourites mixing with Olympic heroes.
Super-middleweights Rocky Fielding and Callum Smith look to extend their unbeaten records with fights against Noe Gonzalez Alcoba and Vladine Biosse respectively.
Olympic gold medal heroes Anthony Joshua and Luke Campbell close their first seasons with their first appearances in Liverpool, Joshua facing Matt Skelton while Campbell’s opponent will be announced soon. They are joined by Team GB team-mate and bronze medallist Anthony Ogogo who faces Sheffield’s Wayne Reed.
Unbeaten Liverpool featherweight John Quigley contests his 13th fight and the bill which is completed by former Team GB bantamweight star Gamal Yafai and unbeaten Cambridge lightweight Tommy Martin.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/19 -- Nicola Adams suffers shock European Championships defeat
Nicola Adams suffered her first defeat in almost two years as she crashed out of the European Championships at t...
- 2014/07/20 -- Interview: Heavyweight contender Lucas Browne
WBC #7, IBF #7, WBA #13 heavyweight Lucas “Big Daddy” Browne talks to Fightnews to say he is confident of defeat...
- 2014/07/04 -- Extreme Warriors
LaSalle, IL. Just when you think that a show can't get much bigger something happens that it does. This is ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Patrick Cote vs. Stephen Thompson slated for UFC 178
Rising welterweights will battle at the UFC 178 card in Las Vegas, as the promotion announced that former UFC ti...
- 2014/07/20 -- Tony Bellew threatens to end Nathan Cleverly’s career if they meet again
Tony Bellew has vowed to send Nathan Cleverly into retirement if they stay on course for a rematch this Saturday...
- 2014/07/20 -- Alistair Overeem grateful for new team ‘chemistry’, still optimistic about fighting Junior dos Santos
UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem is set to return to the Octagon on Sept. 5th when he faces Ben Rothwell at UFC ...
- 2014/07/20 -- Floyd Mayweather Jr. apologizes to Ronda Rousey and congratulates her on ESPY win
As he took home the ESPY for 2014's Best Fighter, Floyd Mayweather Jr. was finally introduced to a nemesis he di...
- 2014/07/20 -- U.S. boxing to have ‘down under’ feel in August
Australian and New Zealand boxers will figure prominently in significant televised fights on U.S. soil over a on...
- 2014/07/19 -- Jackson’s MMA Announces Their Association (Affiliate) Program
Jackson’s MMA Announces That They Will Start Their Association Program Allowing Gyms To Affiliate With One Of Th...
- 2014/07/20 -- Invicta FC’s Duda Yankovich back in the gym a week after suffering a stroke
RIO DE JANEIRO -- Nothing is going to stop Duda Yankovich.
Yankovich, a former WIBA light welterweight boxing c...
- 2014/07/19 -- Zurdo Ramirez: My punches land just as hard here as they do in the Western Hemisphere
Undefeated WBC/WBO #2, WBA #3, IBF #4 super middleweight contender Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez (28-0, 22 KOs) is re...