Nicola Adams suffered her first defeat in almost two years as she crashed out of the European Championships at the quarter-final stage in Bucharest.
Olympic champion Adams was made to pay for a slow start as she lost a close points decision to experienced Bulgarian opponent Stoyka Petrova.
She had been hoping to become England’s first double European champion, having won her first title in Rotterdam in 2011.
But Adams now has to shift her attention to the Commonwealth Games, with women’s boxing making its debut in Glasgow later this summer.
Adams said: Although I was not at my best today, I felt I had done enough to go through however sometimes the judges just do not see it your way.
The most important thing is to come back stronger than ever and my priority now is to make sure I am in the best possible condition for the Commonwealth Games and the World Championships later in the year.
There was better news of Natasha Jonas, who guaranteed herself a medal in the 64kg category with a unanimous win over Valentina Alberti of Italy – she joins Stockport’s Stacey Copeland in Friday’s semi-finals.
And Ireland’s Katie Taylor stayed on course for her sixth European title in a row with a final-round stoppage win over Romania’s Lavinia Mera.
Her team-mates Michaela Walsh and Joanna Lambe bowed out.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/19 -- Abel Trujillo Faces Ross Pearson at UFC Fight Night Card in Maine
Abel Trujillo will now fight Ross Pearson at UFC Fight Night “Bader vs. St. Preux.”
UFC officials announced th...
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC Fight Night 45 and 46 preview, Holly Holm signing, UFC 177 discussion
There isn't merely one, but two UFC events this week. First up on the docket is tonight's UFC Fight Night 45, an...
- 2014/07/19 -- Andrade to Canelo: The line forms behind me
WBO jr. middleweight champion Demetrius “Boo Boo” Andrade (21-0, 14 KOs) says he is the man to beat at 154 pound...
- 2014/07/19 -- Luke Campbell will return to the ring in Liverpool next month
Luke Campbell will end a five month absence from the ring when he returns to action in Liverpool next month.
- 2014/07/20 -- Ronda Rousey wins 2014 ESPY for Best Female Athlete
Ronda Rousey came home a winner once again on Wednesday night. The UFC's women's bantamweight champion claimed t...
- 2014/07/19 -- Eddie Bravo Mends Fences with Ralek Gracie, Declines Invite to Compete at Metamoris 4
Eddie Bravo has laid relatively low since competing against Royler Gracie at Metamoris 3 in March.
- 2014/07/20 -- WBC, Telmex sponsorship announced
The World Boxing Council and the Nevada Community Foundation have announced a historic agreement between the WBC...
- 2014/07/23 -- Ranking Boxing’s Best Knockouts of 2014 so Far
*****Ranking Boxing's Best Knockouts of 2014 so Far*****
I told us:
Knockouts can transform good boxers ...
- 2014/07/20 -- UFC Bantamweight Queen Ronda Rousey Named ‘Best Female Athlete’ at 2014 ESPYs
UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has added another accolade to her name, winning the 2014 ESPY for...
- 2014/07/19 -- Wadi Camacho cannot afford another setback against Stephen Simmons
Wadi Camacho admits defeat is ‘not an option’ as he prepares to face Stephen Simmons in a crucial cruiserweight ...
- 2014/07/04 -- “Battle of the Badges”
Hammond, IN. It seems that the partnership between, martial arts instructor and originator of Total Co...