Nicola Adams suffered her first defeat in almost two years as she crashed out of the European Championships at the quarter-final stage in Bucharest.
Olympic champion Adams was made to pay for a slow start as she lost a close points decision to experienced Bulgarian opponent Stoyka Petrova.
She had been hoping to become England's first double European champion, having won her first title in Rotterdam in 2011.
But Adams now has to shift her attention to the Commonwealth Games, with women's boxing making its debut in Glasgow later this summer.
Adams said: Although I was not at my best today, I felt I had done enough to go through however sometimes the judges just do not see it your way.
The most important thing is to come back stronger than ever and my priority now is to make sure I am in the best possible condition for the Commonwealth Games and the World Championships later in the year.
There was better news of Natasha Jonas, who guaranteed herself a medal in the 64kg category with a unanimous win over Valentina Alberti of Italy - she joins Stockport's Stacey Copeland in Friday's semi-finals.
And Ireland's Katie Taylor stayed on course for her sixth European title in a row with a final-round stoppage win over Romania's Lavinia Mera.
Her team-mates Michaela Walsh and Joanna Lambe bowed out.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/23 -- Golovkin/Geale, Jennings/Perez New York City Media Workout Quotes
***Golovkin/Geale, Jennings/Perez New York City Media Workout Quotes***4
- 2014/07/19 -- Zuffa Addresses Ali Bagautinov’s Failed Drug Test
Less than 24 hours after it was revealed by the British Columbia Athletic Commission that Ali Bagautinov had tes...
- 2014/07/04 -- From the Shooto Association press secretary
SHOOTO Quarterly Report (part 1):
The first part of the year has come and gone, and we are already a cou...
- 2014/07/20 -- IBF super-featherweight title success for Rances Barthelemy in Miami
Rances Barthelemy is the new IBF super-featherweight champion after a unanimous points win over Argenis Mendez i...
- 2014/07/20 -- Cage Fury Fighting Championships Acquires Xtreme Fight Events, Inks Deal With SNY
On Friday, officials from Cage Fury Fighting Championships announced a deal that would merge the promotion with...
- 2014/07/20 -- Gleison Tibau wants to break Tito Ortiz’s UFC record by 2015
Gleison Tibau will become the lightweight with the most UFC fights Wednesday night, but that’s not the only reco...
- 2014/07/20 -- Change is No Problem for Ilir Latifi
I have been looking forward to this fight and I believe the Irish fans are as passionate as the Swedish fans, so...
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC Fight Night – Albuquerque: Henderson vs. Khabilov Tickets on Sale Today
UFC Fight Night 43 – Albuquerque, Tingley Coliseum Tickets on Sale Today
Today, at 10am MT, Ticketmaster.com wi...
- 2014/07/19 -- Former WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns has a spring in his step since swapping trainers
Ricky Burns feels like a new man after switching trainers ahead of his showdown with unbeaten Dejan Zlaticanin l...
- 2014/07/19 -- How Ray Borg Changed The Local MMA Landscape In Less Than 10-Fights And Again In Less Than 10-Minutes
On April 4th, 2014 the Legacy FC 30 event was held inside the Route 66 Casino. Much of the promotion during the ...
- 2014/07/20 -- British light-welterweight: Willie Limond beats Curtis Woodhouse on points in Glasgow
It was a case of third time lucky for Willie Limond as he finally achieved his British title dream with a stylis...