Lucas Martins had his last two UFC fights canceled due to injuries, but that turned out to be great for the Chute Boxe talent.
Coming off stoppage victories over Jeremy Larsen (TKO) at lightweight and Ramiro Hernandez (submission) at bantamweight in his last appearances inside the Octagon, Mineiro moves up to the featherweight division to battle Alex White at UFC Fight Night 45 in Atlantic City, N.J., and he’s glad he had those injuries.
I had two injuries that kept me out of the cage, but God knows everything and I evolved physically and technically during this time off, Martins told MMAFighting.com. I evolved a lot. I will be 110 percent in this fight.
Pulled from fights with Johnny Eduardo and Aljamain Sterling with right foot injuries, Mineiro also saw his UFN 45 opponent change because of it. Alex White will replace Jim Alers, and the Brazilian sees the undefeated foe as a good match-up.
I expect the best in this fight, and I win will by knockout, he said. It’s going to be a great fight. I’m not underestimating him, but his ground game doesn’t scare me at all. I train with (jiu-jitsu) black belts, so I’m ready. I think he wants to stand and trade punches with me, but I trained for everything. When I land my hand on his chin, he will go down.
Martins will compete on the third different weigh class in his fourth UFC bout, and he’s not planning more changes after Wednesday’s bout.
I always fought at 145 pounds in Brazil, he said. I entered the UFC in a short-notice fight against Edson (Barboza) at 155, and then I asked the UFC to move down to 145 but the division was full. I talked to my coaches and dropped to 135, but I felt the weigh cut, so I’m moving back to 145 now. That’s where I feel comfortable and strong.
I’m young, I started training MMA four years ago and entered the UFC two years ago. I want to be at the top 10 as soon as possible. I want to do two more fights this year. Top 10, top 5… I’m ready. Bring it.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- Mayweather-Maidana rematch booked
LAS VEGAS -- Although pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. said last week that he planned to give a rematch...
- 2014/07/19 -- Ali Bagautinov Tests Positive for Banned Substance Prior to UFC 174
Ali Bagautinov has allegedly tested positive for erythropoietin (EPO) in a June 2 out-of-competition test prior ...
- 2014/07/19 -- UFN Dublin Main Card Fantasy Preview
It's been five long years since the UFC last landed on the Emerald Isle of Ireland, but this weekend marks the r...
- 2014/07/20 -- UFC 170 And What It Meant For New Mexico Trained Fighters
This past Saturday, the highly discussed UFC 170 event was held inside the Mandalay Bay Event Center in Las Vega...
- 2014/07/19 -- Victor Henry Takes Out Tokoro, Nam Phan Rebounds at Grandslam MMA ‘Way of the Cage’
If Victor Henry was brought to Japan to become a “W” on someone else’s record, nobody told the Californian.
- 2014/07/19 -- Police to take no further action against Amir Khan following Bolton incident
Police will take no further action after investigating an incident which resulted in the arrest of boxer Amir Kh...
- 2014/07/19 -- Phil Harris: Well-Prepared for Debut Two
I have been given a second chance, so I’m not going to waste it. I’m going to give it my best shot and we’ll see...
- 2014/07/20 -- Henry Cejudo, Jonathan Brookins Added to Legacy FC 34 in Mississippi
Legacy Fighting Championship has added Olympic gold medalist Henry Cejudo and UFC veteran Jonathan Brookins to i...
- 2014/07/23 -- Golovkin/Geale, Jennings/Perez New York City Media Workout Quotes
***Golovkin/Geale, Jennings/Perez New York City Media Workout Quotes***4
- 2014/07/19 -- Stefan Struve ‘100 percent, definitely wants to fight,’ according to manager
It looks like Stefan Struve will return to the Octagon after all.
The 7-foot-tall heavyweight from the Netherla...
- 2014/07/19 -- Maidana expects to be strong in later rounds against Mayweather
Maidana fought effectively in the first six rounds of the bout, but then kind of fell apart in the last half of ...