World middleweight champion Savannah Marshall is hoping for redemption in this month’s Commonwealth Games.
The Sky Scholar is targeting a gold medal in Glasgow following her shock defeat at the London 2012 Olympics.
Marshall headed to the capital as one of the strongest British favourites for gold after claiming the world title just three months prior to the Olympics.
However, the Hartlepool fighter suffered a shock first round defeat to Kazakhstan's Marina Volnova.
Marshall underwent shoulder surgery in the winter and is now aiming to make amends for disappointment in London by becoming one of the first women to win a gold medal in Glasgow.
“I’m really looking forward to it, I haven’t boxed for about six months because of my injury so I’m just really looking forward to getting back in the ring, Marshall told Sky Spors News.
I’m back to 100 per cent, I’m injury free and glad to say that I’m over it the shoulder injury now.
“I’m just looking forward to getting back in to the ring really. It would have been ideal to have boxed before the Commonwealths but obviously things didn’t work out that way so I’m just looking to see where I’m at competition-wise after such a long lay-off. I’m hoping I’m not too far from my best.”
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- Savannah Marshall targets Commonwealth Games boxing gold to help put 2012 Olympic heartbreak behind her
Savannah Marshall is bidding for Commonwealth boxing gold to help put her 2012 Olympic misery behind her but kno...
- 2014/07/19 -- Luke Campbell will return to the ring in Liverpool next month
Luke Campbell will end a five month absence from the ring when he returns to action in Liverpool next month.
- 2014/07/21 -- Toughest jobs in sports: Sparring partner for Manny Pacquiao
Jeff Eisenberg writes for us:
VENTURA, Calif. — Moments after going five rounds with a sparring partner w...
- 2014/07/20 -- Amir Khan will fight Floyd Mayweather but Manny Pacquiao is on hit-list next
Amir Khan insists the widely-touted fight between him and Floyd Mayweather Jnr will happen – though his next sho...
- 2014/07/19 -- Rocktagon 31 Fight Card Announced For March 29th, Features Several New Mexico Fighters
The Rocktagon MMA promotion has become a staple of Southwest MMA as they have stood on the fence between New Mex...
- 2014/07/04 -- Reality Submission Challenge
Bethalto, IL-- When anybody talks to promoter, Mike Griffin, about submission wrestling, they can see ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Katie Taylor defeats Denitsa Eliseeva to make her sixth successive European final
Katie Taylor made it six European finals in a row as she got the better of Denitsa Eliseeva on Friday.
- 2014/07/20 -- ‘Do Bronx’-Nik Lentz Rematch Set for Sept. 5 in Connecticut
Nik Lentz and Charles “do Bronx” Oliveira will fight again on Sept. 5, a little over three years after their fir...
- 2014/07/20 -- Invicta FC’s Duda Yankovich back in the gym a week after suffering a stroke
RIO DE JANEIRO -- Nothing is going to stop Duda Yankovich.
Yankovich, a former WIBA light welterweight boxing c...
- 2014/07/04 -- Lightning Strikes Twice
KOKOMO, IN--Last year, Donnie Michaels brought us the first Cage Rage in Kokomo and surprised everyone with a we...
- 2014/07/19 -- Patrick Cote vs. Stephen Thompson slated for UFC 178
Rising welterweights will battle at the UFC 178 card in Las Vegas, as the promotion announced that former UFC ti...