The boxing gloves Muhammad Ali wore in the first fight of his famed trilogy with Joe Frazier, 1971’s Fight of the Century heavyweight championship bout, are going up for auction again.
The gloves will be part of Heritage Auctions’ July 31 auction in conjunction with the annual National Sports Collectors Convention, which this year takes place in Cleveland.
The gloves came from the collection of the late Hall of Fame trainer Angelo Dundee, who trained Ali and died at age 90 in 2012. His son, Jim Dundee, put much of his father’s collection of boxing memorabilia up for auction to help pay family medical bills.
The gloves sold for a public auction boxing memorabilia-record $385,848 in December 2012.
They were sold in the same auction for the same price as the gloves that Ali — then Cassius Clay — wore when he won the heavyweight world title for the first time in his first fight against Sonny Liston in 1964.
The gloves from Clay-Liston I went up for sale again in February and sold for a record-shattering $836,500 in a Heritage Auction almost 50 years to the day of the fight.
Now the Ali-Frazier I gloves are on the block again and could challenge the record price.
This match was billed as the ‘Fight of the Century,’ and, despite the fact that Ali lost, it more than lived up to its billing, said Chris Ivy of Heritage Auctions. These gloves are more than sports memorabilia. They’re artifacts of early-1970s American pop culture.
Ali and Frazier were both undefeated with claims to the heavyweight title when they met March 8, 1971, at Madison Square Garden in New York in one of the biggest sporting events of the 20th century. Frazier knocked Ali down and won a 15-round decision.
Muhammad Ali – Amazing Speed
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/19 -- Double Olympic champion Vasyl Lomachenko wins world title in third pro fight
Vasyl Lomachenko has beaten Gary Russell by majority decision to win the vacant WBO featherweight title in Carso...
- 2014/07/20 -- Aljamain Sterling Ready to Be a Bantamweight Contender Following First UFC Stoppage
Aljamain Sterling continues to improve each time he sets foot inside the Octagon.
The 24-year-old finished Hugo...
- 2014/07/19 -- Dejan Zlaticanin beats Ricky Burns to win WBC International lightweight title in Glasgow
Ricky Burns failed to recover from a first-minute knockdown as he fell on points to Dejan Zlaticanin in their ba...
- 2014/07/19 -- Donald Cerrone vs. Jim Miller full fight video highlights
Round 1: Well, this is expected to be a wild one...here we go. Dan Miragliotta is the ref. They touch gloves, an...
- 2014/07/20 -- Goal-Oriented Heavyweight Paul Cheng Dreams of Wearing One FC Gold
From wrestler, football player and stuntman to boxer and professional mixed martial artist, Paul Cheng has chall...
- 2014/07/23 -- Ranking Boxing’s Best Knockouts of 2014 so Far
*****Ranking Boxing's Best Knockouts of 2014 so Far*****
I told us:
Knockouts can transform good boxers ...
- 2014/07/20 -- “The Dirty Bird” Returns To The UFC, Tim Means Signed Up For UFC In Cincinnati
Joining in on the fun of huge announcements, Tim “The Dirty Bird” Means had an eventful week that was significan...
- 2014/11/04 -- Fight Night at Broadripple Place
Fort Wayne, IN. The Danger Zone organization presented it's second show at Broadripple Place on Sunda...
- 2014/07/19 -- Vyacheslav Glazkov fighting Aug. 9
Heavyweight contender Vyacheslav Czar Glazkov, coming off a career-best victory against longtime contender Tomas...
- 2014/07/20 -- AWE TV picks up Fury-Chisora grudge match
The July 26 heavyweight clash between Tyson Fury (22-0 16 KOs) and Dereck Chisora (20-4, 13 KOs) at the Phones 4...
- 2014/07/20 -- Invicta FC’s Duda Yankovich back in the gym a week after suffering a stroke
RIO DE JANEIRO -- Nothing is going to stop Duda Yankovich.
Yankovich, a former WIBA light welterweight boxing c...