The boxing gloves Muhammad Ali wore in the first fight of his famed trilogy with Joe Frazier, 1971’s Fight of the Century heavyweight championship bout, are going up for auction again.
The gloves will be part of Heritage Auctions’ July 31 auction in conjunction with the annual National Sports Collectors Convention, which this year takes place in Cleveland.
The gloves came from the collection of the late Hall of Fame trainer Angelo Dundee, who trained Ali and died at age 90 in 2012. His son, Jim Dundee, put much of his father’s collection of boxing memorabilia up for auction to help pay family medical bills.
The gloves sold for a public auction boxing memorabilia-record $385,848 in December 2012.
They were sold in the same auction for the same price as the gloves that Ali — then Cassius Clay — wore when he won the heavyweight world title for the first time in his first fight against Sonny Liston in 1964.
The gloves from Clay-Liston I went up for sale again in February and sold for a record-shattering $836,500 in a Heritage Auction almost 50 years to the day of the fight.
Now the Ali-Frazier I gloves are on the block again and could challenge the record price.
This match was billed as the ‘Fight of the Century,’ and, despite the fact that Ali lost, it more than lived up to its billing, said Chris Ivy of Heritage Auctions. These gloves are more than sports memorabilia. They’re artifacts of early-1970s American pop culture.
Ali and Frazier were both undefeated with claims to the heavyweight title when they met March 8, 1971, at Madison Square Garden in New York in one of the biggest sporting events of the 20th century. Frazier knocked Ali down and won a 15-round decision.
Muhammad Ali – Amazing Speed
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- Inside The Mind Of Westside Power Gym’s Carlos Casados
MMA is well-known in the state of New Mexico as the area plays host to an array and mixture of talent spanning f...
- 2014/07/20 -- Jessica Andrade, Valerie Letourneau matched for UFC Fight Night 51 in Brazil
Jessica Andrade will take part in the second-ever UFC female fight in Brazil in September.
UFC announced Monday...
- 2014/07/04 -- Shocked by Events
By Rick Morrison
We are now into the second week after the disasters in New York and Washington and of t...
- 2014/07/20 -- Olympic boxer Savannah Marshall targets gold in Commonwealth Games
World middleweight champion Savannah Marshall is hoping for redemption in this month’s Commonwealth Games.
- 2014/07/18 -- Maximo Blanco Set to Face Dan Hooker at UFC Fight Night in Japan
Two featherweights fresh off victories will meet at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, on Sept. 20, when Max...
- 2014/07/19 -- Pros react to Donald Cerrone vs. Jim Miller, Edson Barboza vs. Evan Dunham, more
The last time the UFC traveled to Atlantic City, Gray Maynard and Clay Guida didn't exactly give the New Jersey ...
- 2014/07/04 -- RSF Packs Them In
BELLEVILLE, IL--There are times that, despite a multitude of small short comings, the big event is a hug...
- 2014/07/19 -- Jackson’s MMA Announces Their Association (Affiliate) Program
Jackson’s MMA Announces That They Will Start Their Association Program Allowing Gyms To Affiliate With One Of Th...
- 2014/11/04 -- THE LAST EYADA FILE
This has been a very emotional couple of weeks for me since eYada closed down on July 9. Sure, those who...
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC Fight Night Albuquerque Tingley Coliseum Pre-Sale Tickets are Available, Here’s the Code!
UFC Fight Night Albuquerque Tickets are now on Pre-Sale, Get them before they are available to the public April ...
- 2014/07/23 -- Fleeing Mantis Erislandy Lara on Pay-Per-View? Someone Call Bunco Squad
By Ivan G. Goldman
***Fleeing Mantis Erislandy Lara on Pay-Per-View? Someone Call Bunc...