Alex Arthur is backing Stephen Simmons to do what he didn’t do – and beat his bitter rival on home soil.
Scotland’s Simmons takes on Wadi Camacho in Glasgow, on Friday, live on Sky Sports 3, as part of the undercard that sees Ricky Burns return to the ring.
The pair almost traded blows at the weigh-in when the Edinburgh man was pushed in the throat after he had tried to go nose-to-nose with his opponent.
Simmons (14st 3lb2 10oz) and his Cannning Town counterpart Camacho (10st 2lbs) clearly dislike each other and have brought back memories back of Arthur’s devastating defeat to Michael Gomez.
It started with a bitter war of words and ended in a surprise fifth-round stoppage at the hands of the out-spoken Manchester fighter in 2003.
And the former super featherweight world title holder Arthur believes if he can keep calm once in the ring, Simmons will give Scotland the win.
Steady pressure will win this fight, but he can’t take all that anger into the ring, said Arthur.
There is no reason for him to start going crazy. I don’t think Camacho has good reflexes but he is a fit guy and he’s big and if he connects, he will hurt Simmons.
But as far as boxing ability and basic strength, I think he is the favourite for me.
The pair were relatively calm at the weigh-in ahead of the WBC International Silver cruiserweight showdown.
Simmons is the title holder while Arthur lost his British super-featherweight and a similar interim strap after Gomez put him down three times before the stoppage.
And the retired 36-year-old admits the Scottish capital is right behind their latest local hero.
There is a bit of needle there and Edinburgh just doesn’t like Wadi Camachi, just like they didn’t like Gomez, he said.
Let’s just hope that Stevie can get the result he wants and there is not a repeat performance of what I did!
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/19 -- Tete challenges for vacant IBF title
Zolani Tete has a chance of winning the vacant IBF junior bantamweight title when he fights in Japan this weeken...
- 2014/07/19 -- Wadi Camacho cannot afford another setback against Stephen Simmons
Wadi Camacho admits defeat is ‘not an option’ as he prepares to face Stephen Simmons in a crucial cruiserweight ...
- 2014/07/19 -- TUF 8 winner Efrain Escudero signs with Titan, debuts on Aug. 22 card
A former Ultimate Fighter champion has found a home in the Titan Fighting Championships.
Efrain Escudero, the T...
- 2014/07/20 -- Floyd Mayweather-Marcos Maidana Rematch Set For Sept. 13 in Las Vegas
Floyd Mayweather officially announced via social media that his highly-anticipated rematch with Marcos Maidana i...
- 2014/07/19 -- Khan to fight in December, possibly against Alexander or Guerrero
Khan says that his adviser Al Haymon is working on the date for the fight to be televised in the United States o...
- 2014/07/20 -- Commonwealth Games: Savannah Marshall relishing her return to the ring
Despite not having boxed for six months, Savannah Marshall is set to compete for a medal in women's middleweight...
- 2014/07/19 -- Vyacheslav Glazkov fighting Aug. 9
Heavyweight contender Vyacheslav Czar Glazkov, coming off a career-best victory against longtime contender Tomas...
- 2014/07/19 -- Tete acquires vacant IBF 115lb belt in Japan
Elongated southpaw Zolati Tete (20-3, 16 KOs), 114, from South Africa, easily acquired the vacant IBF super-flyw...
- 2014/07/19 -- Donald Cerrone vs. Jim Miller full fight video highlights
Round 1: Well, this is expected to be a wild one...here we go. Dan Miragliotta is the ref. They touch gloves, an...
- 2014/07/23 -- Tyson Fury to fight Alexander Ustinov after Chisora withdrawal
BBC says seriously ;):
***Tyson Fury to fight Alexander Ustinov after Chisora withdrawal***
Tyson Fury wi...
- 2014/07/19 -- Seth Baczynski-Alan Jouban Welterweight Bout Added to UFC Fight Night in Maine
Seth Baczynski will welcome Octagon newcomer Alan Jouban to the Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight div...