Alex Arthur is backing Stephen Simmons to do what he didn’t do – and beat his bitter rival on home soil.
Scotland’s Simmons takes on Wadi Camacho in Glasgow, on Friday, live on Sky Sports 3, as part of the undercard that sees Ricky Burns return to the ring.
The pair almost traded blows at the weigh-in when the Edinburgh man was pushed in the throat after he had tried to go nose-to-nose with his opponent.
Simmons (14st 3lb2 10oz) and his Cannning Town counterpart Camacho (10st 2lbs) clearly dislike each other and have brought back memories back of Arthur’s devastating defeat to Michael Gomez.
It started with a bitter war of words and ended in a surprise fifth-round stoppage at the hands of the out-spoken Manchester fighter in 2003.
And the former super featherweight world title holder Arthur believes if he can keep calm once in the ring, Simmons will give Scotland the win.
Steady pressure will win this fight, but he can’t take all that anger into the ring, said Arthur.
There is no reason for him to start going crazy. I don’t think Camacho has good reflexes but he is a fit guy and he’s big and if he connects, he will hurt Simmons.
But as far as boxing ability and basic strength, I think he is the favourite for me.
The pair were relatively calm at the weigh-in ahead of the WBC International Silver cruiserweight showdown.
Simmons is the title holder while Arthur lost his British super-featherweight and a similar interim strap after Gomez put him down three times before the stoppage.
And the retired 36-year-old admits the Scottish capital is right behind their latest local hero.
There is a bit of needle there and Edinburgh just doesn’t like Wadi Camachi, just like they didn’t like Gomez, he said.
Let’s just hope that Stevie can get the result he wants and there is not a repeat performance of what I did!
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC history will be made Wednesday night
“Claudia Gadelha vs Tina Lahdemaki, UFC FIGHT NIGHT: CERRONE vs MILLER, July 16, 2014” will be the answer to the...
- 2014/07/18 -- Muhammad Ali gloves on block again
The boxing gloves Muhammad Ali wore in the first fight of his famed trilogy with Joe Frazier, 1971's Fight of th...
- 2014/07/19 -- The must have fights of 2015
Every year I hope that the biggest fights in boxing will happen. I’m pretty much always disappointed but it does...
- 2014/07/19 -- After Spectacular Finish of Jim Miller, Donald Cerrone Willing to ‘Literally Fight Anybody’
While his preference to remain as active as possible is well known, Donald Cerrone is far from picky when it com...
- 2019/01/05 -- Tyson Fury pulls out of fight with Alexander Ustinov
Tyson Fury has withdrawn from Saturday night's heavyweight fight with Belarusian Alexander Ustinov.
- 2014/07/19 -- Hand injury KOs David Price until December
Yesterday former British and Commonwealth heavyweight beltholder David Price (18-2, 15 KOs) underwent surgery to...
- 2014/07/19 -- Jackson’s MMA Announces Their Association (Affiliate) Program
Jackson’s MMA Announces That They Will Start Their Association Program Allowing Gyms To Affiliate With One Of Th...
- 2014/07/20 -- British light-welterweight: Willie Limond beats Curtis Woodhouse on points in Glasgow
It was a case of third time lucky for Willie Limond as he finally achieved his British title dream with a stylis...
- 2014/07/20 -- Tapology Gives Insight To The Early Odds Of The Upcoming Legacy FC 30 Event
In just a few short weeks, the Legacy FC promotion will travel for the very first time to New Mexico where they ...
- 2014/07/20 -- UFC Bantamweight Queen Ronda Rousey Named ‘Best Female Athlete’ at 2014 ESPYs
UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has added another accolade to her name, winning the 2014 ESPY for...
- 2014/07/20 -- AWE TV picks up Fury-Chisora grudge match
The July 26 heavyweight clash between Tyson Fury (22-0 16 KOs) and Dereck Chisora (20-4, 13 KOs) at the Phones 4...