Alex Arthur is backing Stephen Simmons to do what he didn’t do – and beat his bitter rival on home soil.
Scotland’s Simmons takes on Wadi Camacho in Glasgow, on Friday, live on Sky Sports 3, as part of the undercard that sees Ricky Burns return to the ring.
The pair almost traded blows at the weigh-in when the Edinburgh man was pushed in the throat after he had tried to go nose-to-nose with his opponent.
Simmons (14st 3lb2 10oz) and his Cannning Town counterpart Camacho (10st 2lbs) clearly dislike each other and have brought back memories back of Arthur’s devastating defeat to Michael Gomez.
It started with a bitter war of words and ended in a surprise fifth-round stoppage at the hands of the out-spoken Manchester fighter in 2003.
And the former super featherweight world title holder Arthur believes if he can keep calm once in the ring, Simmons will give Scotland the win.
Steady pressure will win this fight, but he can’t take all that anger into the ring, said Arthur.
There is no reason for him to start going crazy. I don’t think Camacho has good reflexes but he is a fit guy and he’s big and if he connects, he will hurt Simmons.
But as far as boxing ability and basic strength, I think he is the favourite for me.
The pair were relatively calm at the weigh-in ahead of the WBC International Silver cruiserweight showdown.
Simmons is the title holder while Arthur lost his British super-featherweight and a similar interim strap after Gomez put him down three times before the stoppage.
And the retired 36-year-old admits the Scottish capital is right behind their latest local hero.
There is a bit of needle there and Edinburgh just doesn’t like Wadi Camachi, just like they didn’t like Gomez, he said.
Let’s just hope that Stevie can get the result he wants and there is not a repeat performance of what I did!
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- Ronda Rousey wins 2014 ESPY for Best Female Athlete
Ronda Rousey came home a winner once again on Wednesday night. The UFC's women's bantamweight champion claimed t...
- 2014/07/20 -- More on Mayweather-Maidana press tour
Day two of the four-day, five-city cross-country press tour to officially announce the September 13 PPV rematch ...
- 2014/07/20 -- Nick Newell: Illegal Blows Changed Fight, Warrant Rematch with WSOF Champ Gaethje
Nick Newell went into his July 5 fight with Justin Gaethje as the top contender to the World Series of Fighting...
- 2014/07/19 -- James DeGale ready to face Carl Froch next as talks continue about possible fight
James DeGale plans to replace Carl Froch as Britain’s super-middleweight star as talks continue about a world ti...
- 2014/07/19 -- Police to take no further action against Amir Khan following Bolton incident
Police will take no further action after investigating an incident which resulted in the arrest of boxer Amir Kh...
- 2014/07/20 -- King Of The Cage “Throwdown” Features Several Las Cruces Gyms And Fighters
Tonight is the night, later on this evening, April 19th, King of the Cage “Throwdown” will be live inside the La...
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC Fight Night Albuquerque Tingley Coliseum Pre-Sale Tickets are Available, Here’s the Code!
UFC Fight Night Albuquerque Tickets are now on Pre-Sale, Get them before they are available to the public April ...
- 2014/07/20 -- Danny Garcia and Lamont Peterson to defend world titles in Brooklyn
Danny Garcia and Lamont Peterson will warm-up for a potential unification fight by appearing on the same bill on...
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC Fight Night – Albuquerque: Henderson vs. Khabilov Tickets on Sale Today
UFC Fight Night 43 – Albuquerque, Tingley Coliseum Tickets on Sale Today
Today, at 10am MT, Ticketmaster.com wi...
- 2014/07/20 -- Mayweather-Maidana rematch booked
LAS VEGAS -- Although pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. said last week that he planned to give a rematch...
- 2014/07/20 -- Aljamain Sterling Ready to Be a Bantamweight Contender Following First UFC Stoppage
Aljamain Sterling continues to improve each time he sets foot inside the Octagon.
The 24-year-old finished Hugo...