Alex Arthur is backing Stephen Simmons to do what he didn’t do – and beat his bitter rival on home soil.
Scotland’s Simmons takes on Wadi Camacho in Glasgow, on Friday, live on Sky Sports 3, as part of the undercard that sees Ricky Burns return to the ring.
The pair almost traded blows at the weigh-in when the Edinburgh man was pushed in the throat after he had tried to go nose-to-nose with his opponent.
Simmons (14st 3lb2 10oz) and his Cannning Town counterpart Camacho (10st 2lbs) clearly dislike each other and have brought back memories back of Arthur’s devastating defeat to Michael Gomez.
It started with a bitter war of words and ended in a surprise fifth-round stoppage at the hands of the out-spoken Manchester fighter in 2003.
And the former super featherweight world title holder Arthur believes if he can keep calm once in the ring, Simmons will give Scotland the win.
Steady pressure will win this fight, but he can’t take all that anger into the ring, said Arthur.
There is no reason for him to start going crazy. I don’t think Camacho has good reflexes but he is a fit guy and he’s big and if he connects, he will hurt Simmons.
But as far as boxing ability and basic strength, I think he is the favourite for me.
The pair were relatively calm at the weigh-in ahead of the WBC International Silver cruiserweight showdown.
Simmons is the title holder while Arthur lost his British super-featherweight and a similar interim strap after Gomez put him down three times before the stoppage.
And the retired 36-year-old admits the Scottish capital is right behind their latest local hero.
There is a bit of needle there and Edinburgh just doesn’t like Wadi Camachi, just like they didn’t like Gomez, he said.
Let’s just hope that Stevie can get the result he wants and there is not a repeat performance of what I did!
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/19 -- Weidman Proves Mettle Once More, Beats Machida
LAS VEGAS, July 5 – If anyone ever says that a championship belt doesn’t mean anything, they obviously never saw...
- 2014/07/19 -- Vyacheslav Glazkov fighting Aug. 9
Heavyweight contender Vyacheslav Czar Glazkov, coming off a career-best victory against longtime contender Tomas...
- 2014/07/19 -- Floyd Mayweather confirms Marcos Maidana rematch on September 13
Floyd Mayweather has confirmed a rematch with Marcos Maidana will take place in Las Vegas on September 13.
- 2014/07/19 -- Donald Cerrone vs. Jim Miller full fight video highlights
Round 1: Well, this is expected to be a wild one...here we go. Dan Miragliotta is the ref. They touch gloves, an...
- 2014/07/20 -- UFC Fight Night 45 Results: Cerrone vs. Miller
MMA Fighting has UFC Fight Night 45 results for the Cerrone vs. Miller fight card July 16, live blogs of the mai...
- 2014/07/19 -- UFN Dublin Main Card Fantasy Preview
It's been five long years since the UFC last landed on the Emerald Isle of Ireland, but this weekend marks the r...
- 2014/07/20 -- British light-welterweight: Willie Limond beats Curtis Woodhouse on points in Glasgow
It was a case of third time lucky for Willie Limond as he finally achieved his British title dream with a stylis...
- 2014/07/20 -- Tapology Gives Insight To The Early Odds Of The Upcoming Legacy FC 30 Event
In just a few short weeks, the Legacy FC promotion will travel for the very first time to New Mexico where they ...
- 2014/07/20 -- Stefan Struve Statement on UFC 175
Stefan Struve released the following statement regarding his UFC 175 bout with Matt Mitrione...
- 2014/07/21 -- Toughest jobs in sports: Sparring partner for Manny Pacquiao
Jeff Eisenberg writes for us:
VENTURA, Calif. — Moments after going five rounds with a sparring partner w...
- 2014/07/20 -- Cage Fury Fighting Championships Acquires Xtreme Fight Events, Inks Deal With SNY
On Friday, officials from Cage Fury Fighting Championships announced a deal that would merge the promotion with...