RIO DE JANEIRO — Nothing is going to stop Duda Yankovich.
Yankovich, a former WIBA light welterweight boxing champion who is signed with Invicta Fighting Championships, suffered a stroke during a training session at Team Nogueira in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on July 9. She was rushed to a hospital and underwent surgery.
Eight days later, Yankovich showed up at the gym.
It’s good to be back, Yankovich told MMAFighting.com on Wednesday. I was scared, but everything was done on the right time. We’re subject to this. It happens. It was good that it happened inside the gym and we had people that knew it was a stroke and got me the medical assistance I needed. I’m fine now.
You can’t foresee a stroke, it can happen to anyone. We will do more exams to find out what really happened, because a stroke is not a common thing to happen to young people. It just happened.
The Serbia-native fighter, who cut down from bantamweight to flyweight for her last MMA bout in Brazil, can’t return to sparring yet.
I’m cleared to do normal activities, but I can’t train anything with impact yet, she said. I can’t box or train muay thai, but I’m cleared to do technical training and work out. I will keep doing my normal activities. Nothing’s gonna stop me.
Every Team Nogueira fighter stopped training to talk to Yankovich as soon as she stepped inside the gym, and heavyweight legend Rodrigo Nogueira was one of them.
I called the hospitals and we rushed her to the hospital right away, Minotauro told MMAFighting.com. She underwent surgery 80 minutes after she had the stroke. The doctor said she avoided sequelae because we helped her right away.
I have to thank my coach Vander Valverde, who recognized the symptoms, and ‘Minotauro’ for helping me, Yankovich added. We have angels in the sky that protect us, and we have angels who walk among us. I was saved by my friends, and I have to thank my student Andre Elias, who was there to help me with the toughest part, financials. I can’t thank them enough.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- Fortunes changed for five at UFC Fight Night 45
Matchmaking usually isn't so easy when it comes to people at the top of their divisions.
You have to balance ou...
- 2014/07/19 -- Wadi Camacho cannot afford another setback against Stephen Simmons
Wadi Camacho admits defeat is ‘not an option’ as he prepares to face Stephen Simmons in a crucial cruiserweight ...
- 2014/07/20 -- Carl Frampton ready for IBF super-bantamweight title showdown with Kiko Martinez
Carl Frampton has warned Kiko Martinez there will be 16,000 fans 'baying for his blood' when the duo slug it out...
- 2014/07/04 -- Fightzone Finishing The Year With A Bang
Toledo, OH. Dave and Lori Gomez have consistently proved that their abilities to market mixed martial arts to th...
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC Fight Night – Albuquerque: Henderson vs. Khabilov Tickets on Sale Today
UFC Fight Night 43 – Albuquerque, Tingley Coliseum Tickets on Sale Today
Today, at 10am MT, Ticketmaster.com wi...
- 2014/07/20 -- Donald Cerrone finishes Jim Miller twice in one round
The second time around, there was no mistaking it for a low blow.
Cowboy Donald Cerrone thought he had the fini...
- 2014/07/19 -- Mirko Larghetti fired up to try and end Marco Huck’s cruiserweight reign
Mirko Larghetti plans to end Marco Huck's stay as WBO cruiserweight champion in Halle next month.
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC Fight Night Albuquerque Tingley Coliseum Pre-Sale Tickets are Available, Here’s the Code!
UFC Fight Night Albuquerque Tickets are now on Pre-Sale, Get them before they are available to the public April ...
- 2014/07/20 -- Hawaii’s Rumble On The Rock: The Tournament That Carlos Condit Could Have Fought Anderson Silva
The time was late-January of 2006 and a Hawaiian promotion was about to start a tournament that included one of ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Ronda Rousey belongs ‘in the top three’ in pound-for-pound rankings
Few, if any, would argue Ronda Rousey isn't the top female fighter on the planet. While Cyborg Justino might tak...
- 2014/07/19 -- Rocktagon 31 Fight Card Announced For March 29th, Features Several New Mexico Fighters
The Rocktagon MMA promotion has become a staple of Southwest MMA as they have stood on the fence between New Mex...