RIO DE JANEIRO — Nothing is going to stop Duda Yankovich.
Yankovich, a former WIBA light welterweight boxing champion who is signed with Invicta Fighting Championships, suffered a stroke during a training session at Team Nogueira in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on July 9. She was rushed to a hospital and underwent surgery.
Eight days later, Yankovich showed up at the gym.
It’s good to be back, Yankovich told MMAFighting.com on Wednesday. I was scared, but everything was done on the right time. We’re subject to this. It happens. It was good that it happened inside the gym and we had people that knew it was a stroke and got me the medical assistance I needed. I’m fine now.
You can’t foresee a stroke, it can happen to anyone. We will do more exams to find out what really happened, because a stroke is not a common thing to happen to young people. It just happened.
The Serbia-native fighter, who cut down from bantamweight to flyweight for her last MMA bout in Brazil, can’t return to sparring yet.
I’m cleared to do normal activities, but I can’t train anything with impact yet, she said. I can’t box or train muay thai, but I’m cleared to do technical training and work out. I will keep doing my normal activities. Nothing’s gonna stop me.
Every Team Nogueira fighter stopped training to talk to Yankovich as soon as she stepped inside the gym, and heavyweight legend Rodrigo Nogueira was one of them.
I called the hospitals and we rushed her to the hospital right away, Minotauro told MMAFighting.com. She underwent surgery 80 minutes after she had the stroke. The doctor said she avoided sequelae because we helped her right away.
I have to thank my coach Vander Valverde, who recognized the symptoms, and ‘Minotauro’ for helping me, Yankovich added. We have angels in the sky that protect us, and we have angels who walk among us. I was saved by my friends, and I have to thank my student Andre Elias, who was there to help me with the toughest part, financials. I can’t thank them enough.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- UFC Fight Night 45 Results: Cerrone vs. Miller
MMA Fighting has UFC Fight Night 45 results for the Cerrone vs. Miller fight card July 16, live blogs of the mai...
- 2014/07/20 -- Tyson Fury faces misconduct charge over latest outburst against Dereck Chisora
Tyson Fury has been summoned to appear before the British Board of Boxing Control over his latest performance du...
- 2014/07/19 -- Bobby Green Replaces Michael Johnson, Faces Josh Thomson at UFC on Fox 12
Lightweight bouts between Bobby Green and Abel Trujillo, as well as Michael Johnson and Josh Thomson are no more...
- 2014/07/19 -- Tete acquires vacant IBF 115lb belt in Japan
Elongated southpaw Zolati Tete (20-3, 16 KOs), 114, from South Africa, easily acquired the vacant IBF super-flyw...
- 2014/07/23 -- Tyson Fury to fight Alexander Ustinov after Chisora withdrawal
BBC says seriously ;):
***Tyson Fury to fight Alexander Ustinov after Chisora withdrawal***
Tyson Fury wi...
- 2014/07/20 -- Algieri signs contract to fight Pacquiao
WBO jr welterweight world champion Chris Algieri today signed the contract for his showdown with WBO...
- 2014/07/20 -- Cage Fury Fighting Championships Acquires Xtreme Fight Events, Inks Deal With SNY
On Friday, officials from Cage Fury Fighting Championships announced a deal that would merge the promotion with...
- 2014/07/20 -- Edson Barboza vs. Evan Dunham full fight video highlights
Round 1: Keith Peterson is the ref. They touch them up. Dunham moves in, and Barao clobbers him to the body with...
- 2014/07/20 -- Former world boxing champ Ricky Burns back in ring in Glasgow on Friday
Ricky Burns returns to the ring against Dejan Zlaticanin on Friday night for the first time since losing his WBO...
- 2014/07/19 -- Seth Baczynski-Alan Jouban Welterweight Bout Added to UFC Fight Night in Maine
Seth Baczynski will welcome Octagon newcomer Alan Jouban to the Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight div...
- 2014/07/19 -- Demetrious Johnson-Chris Cariaso Flyweight Title Co-Main Event Joins UFC 177
Demetrious Johnson will defend his UFC flyweight title against Chris Cariaso at UFC 177.
UFC officials Tuesday ...