RIO DE JANEIRO -- Nothing is going to stop Duda Yankovich.
Yankovich, a former WIBA light welterweight boxing champion who is signed with Invicta Fighting Championships, suffered a stroke during a training session at Team Nogueira in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on July 9. She was rushed to a hospital and underwent surgery.
Eight days later, Yankovich showed up at the gym.
It’s good to be back, Yankovich told MMAFighting.com on Wednesday. I was scared, but everything was done on the right time. We’re subject to this. It happens. It was good that it happened inside the gym and we had people that knew it was a stroke and got me the medical assistance I needed. I’m fine now.
You can’t foresee a stroke, it can happen to anyone. We will do more exams to find out what really happened, because a stroke is not a common thing to happen to young people. It just happened.
The Serbia-native fighter, who cut down from bantamweight to flyweight for her last MMA bout in Brazil, can’t return to sparring yet.
I’m cleared to do normal activities, but I can’t train anything with impact yet, she said. I can’t box or train muay thai, but I’m cleared to do technical training and work out. I will keep doing my normal activities. Nothing’s gonna stop me.
Every Team Nogueira fighter stopped training to talk to Yankovich as soon as she stepped inside the gym, and heavyweight legend Rodrigo Nogueira was one of them.
I called the hospitals and we rushed her to the hospital right away, Minotauro told MMAFighting.com. She underwent surgery 80 minutes after she had the stroke. The doctor said she avoided sequelae because we helped her right away.
I have to thank my coach Vander Valverde, who recognized the symptoms, and ‘Minotauro’ for helping me, Yankovich added. We have angels in the sky that protect us, and we have angels who walk among us. I was saved by my friends, and I have to thank my student Andre Elias, who was there to help me with the toughest part, financials. I can’t thank them enough.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/19 -- Kantun looks to shine in U.S. debut Friday
Super flyweight Juan “El Loquito” Kantun (21-6-3, 15 KOs) of Merida, Yucatan, Mexico will make both his U.S. and...
- 2014/07/20 -- Anthony Joshua makes quick work of Matt Skelton in Liverpool
British heavyweight Anthony Joshua enjoyed another short night, stopping veteran Matt Skelton in the second roun...
- 2014/07/19 -- Andrade to Canelo: The line forms behind me
WBO jr. middleweight champion Demetrius “Boo Boo” Andrade (21-0, 14 KOs) says he is the man to beat at 154 pound...
- 2014/07/19 -- Bellator 123 to Include Curran-‘Pitbull’ Title Fight, TNA Champ Lashley, ‘King Mo’
Bellator MMA is going all-in for its head-to-head showdown with the Ultimate Fighting Championship on Sept. 5.
- 2014/07/19 -- Pros react to Donald Cerrone vs. Jim Miller, Edson Barboza vs. Evan Dunham, more
The last time the UFC traveled to Atlantic City, Gray Maynard and Clay Guida didn't exactly give the New Jersey ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Mitchell Smith hails victory over Peter Cope at York Hall
Mitchell Smith believes his performance in defeating previously unbeaten Peter Cope for the vacant English title...
- 2014/07/19 -- Rustam Nugaev to fight Shafikov
Russian lightweights Rustam Nugaev and Denis Shafikov will meet in a world title eliminator in the main event of...
- 2014/07/20 -- Conor McGregor: A True Believer
One of my favorite things to do in life is say I’m gonna do something and then go out and do it. There’s no bett...
- 2014/07/20 -- Legacy FC 30 Quick Results And Post Fight Analysis: Rough Night For Jackson’s MMA, Holm Gets Late Finish Lots Of Post-Fight Storylines
Another memorable night of fighting is in the books and the Legacy FC promotion’s debut venture into the state o...
- 2014/07/19 -- White Buffalo zooms in on KZN
Former boxers Hardy Mileham and Francois Botha intend to revive the sport in KwaZulu-Natal. The two have formed ...
- 2014/07/20 -- Jessica Andrade, Valerie Letourneau matched for UFC Fight Night 51 in Brazil
Jessica Andrade will take part in the second-ever UFC female fight in Brazil in September.
UFC announced Monday...