Paul Smith says he will get his world-title chance in September.
The Liverpudlian super-middleweight told Ringside that he will face WBO champion Arthur Abraham in Germany.
Smith says the late-September showdown is almost done and will now get the chance to become another British super-middleweight world champion – ahead of George Groves and James DeGale, who have both beaten him.
I’m just waiting for the Sauerlands to give me that call and invite me over for a press conference to announce it, he told Ringside.
It’s their show, it’s their promotion but it is that close. I think all we need is a venue; the O2 Arena in Berlin is booked at the moment, so they are looking for another venue in Berlin.
Smith could join Carl Froch as a super-middleweight world champion by beating Abraham.
He sparred with The Cobra ahead of his one-sided victory over the Armenian-born fighter back in 2010 and believes a repeat performance is well within his capabilities.
But Smith readily admitted he is going to have to produce the fight of his life.
Carl showed the perfect way to beat him, though I never thought I’d see it on the night as easy as it was for Carl, he said.
No disrespect to Abraham; I’ve said it time and time again, he’s a great champion and he’s going to be the hardest fight I’ve ever had and he’s going to be the best opponent I’ve ever been in the ring with.
But this is my world title fight as well and I am going to give it everything. I know my style is made for him but his style is made for me and the way I fight.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/19 -- Miguel Cotto ends reign of Sergio Martinez as Argentine fails to emerge for 10th round
Miguel Cotto made history in New York as he claimed the WBC middleweight belt by emphatically dethroning Sergio ...
- 2014/07/04 -- Ironheart Crown “Exodus”
The transition of the Illinois shows is complete. A clamp down by the Illinois boxing commis...
- 2014/07/19 -- Jiu-jitsu star Ryan Hall signs multi-fight deal with Titan FC
2009 ADCC bronze medalist and Felipe Costa jiu-jitsu black belt Ryan Hall has signed a multi-fight deal with Tit...
- 2014/07/20 -- Palacios returns September 20
Former two time world title challenger Francisco “Wizard” Palacios (21-2, 13 KOs) returns to the ring on Septemb...
- 2014/07/19 -- Abel Trujillo Faces Ross Pearson at UFC Fight Night Card in Maine
Abel Trujillo will now fight Ross Pearson at UFC Fight Night “Bader vs. St. Preux.”
UFC officials announced th...
- 2014/07/19 -- Maidana vs. Mayweather 2: Upset in the making?
(Photo credit: Idris Irba) By MM: With the rematch set, and the fight tour underway, most fight fans feel that F...
- 2014/07/20 -- Terence Crawford retains world title beating Yuriorkis Gamboa in Omaha
Terence Crawford retained the WBO lightweight title he won off Ricky Burns in March thanks to a thrilling ninth-...
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC Fight Night 45 and 46 preview, Holly Holm signing, UFC 177 discussion
There isn't merely one, but two UFC events this week. First up on the docket is tonight's UFC Fight Night 45, an...
- 2014/07/20 -- Stefan Struve Statement on UFC 175
Stefan Struve released the following statement regarding his UFC 175 bout with Matt Mitrione...
- 2014/07/18 -- Muhammad Ali gloves on block again
The boxing gloves Muhammad Ali wore in the first fight of his famed trilogy with Joe Frazier, 1971's Fight of th...
- 2014/07/23 -- Golovkin/Geale, Jennings/Perez New York City Media Workout Quotes
***Golovkin/Geale, Jennings/Perez New York City Media Workout Quotes***4