Paul Smith says he will get his world-title chance in September.
The Liverpudlian super-middleweight told Ringside that he will face WBO champion Arthur Abraham in Germany.
Smith says the late-September showdown is almost done and will now get the chance to become another British super-middleweight world champion – ahead of George Groves and James DeGale, who have both beaten him.
I’m just waiting for the Sauerlands to give me that call and invite me over for a press conference to announce it, he told Ringside.
It’s their show, it’s their promotion but it is that close. I think all we need is a venue; the O2 Arena in Berlin is booked at the moment, so they are looking for another venue in Berlin.
Smith could join Carl Froch as a super-middleweight world champion by beating Abraham.
He sparred with The Cobra ahead of his one-sided victory over the Armenian-born fighter back in 2010 and believes a repeat performance is well within his capabilities.
But Smith readily admitted he is going to have to produce the fight of his life.
Carl showed the perfect way to beat him, though I never thought I’d see it on the night as easy as it was for Carl, he said.
No disrespect to Abraham; I’ve said it time and time again, he’s a great champion and he’s going to be the hardest fight I’ve ever had and he’s going to be the best opponent I’ve ever been in the ring with.
But this is my world title fight as well and I am going to give it everything. I know my style is made for him but his style is made for me and the way I fight.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/19 -- Will Brooks Hopes Lightweight Title Unification Bout Accompanies New Bellator Regime
Like much of the mixed martial arts community, Will Brooks is intrigued by the possibilities of the new Bellator...
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC Fight Night – Albuquerque: Henderson vs. Khabilov Tickets on Sale Today
UFC Fight Night 43 – Albuquerque, Tingley Coliseum Tickets on Sale Today
Today, at 10am MT, Ticketmaster.com wi...
- 2014/07/20 -- Cathal Pendred: A Long Time Coming
He’s a good fighter and a tough fighter, but he’s not as good as me and he’s not as tough as me. I know that I’...
- 2014/07/19 -- James DeGale ready to face Carl Froch next as talks continue about possible fight
James DeGale plans to replace Carl Froch as Britain’s super-middleweight star as talks continue about a world ti...
- 2014/07/19 -- John Dodson Out of Action Until 2015 Following ACL Surgery
John Dodson went under the knife to repair a torn meniscus as well as his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) on We...
- 2014/07/20 -- Olympic boxer Savannah Marshall targets gold in Commonwealth Games
World middleweight champion Savannah Marshall is hoping for redemption in this month’s Commonwealth Games.
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC history will be made Wednesday night
“Claudia Gadelha vs Tina Lahdemaki, UFC FIGHT NIGHT: CERRONE vs MILLER, July 16, 2014” will be the answer to the...
- 2014/07/19 -- Chris Arreola has elbow surgery
Heavyweight contender Chris Arreola underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left elbow on Monday in Los Angeles, t...
- 2014/07/19 -- Bobby Green Replaces Michael Johnson, Faces Josh Thomson at UFC on Fox 12
Lightweight bouts between Bobby Green and Abel Trujillo, as well as Michael Johnson and Josh Thomson are no more...
- 2014/07/20 -- UFC Bantamweight Queen Ronda Rousey Named ‘Best Female Athlete’ at 2014 ESPYs
UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has added another accolade to her name, winning the 2014 ESPY for...
- 2014/07/19 -- Nicola Adams suffers shock European Championships defeat
Nicola Adams suffered her first defeat in almost two years as she crashed out of the European Championships at t...