Paul Smith says he will get his world-title chance in September.
The Liverpudlian super-middleweight told Ringside that he will face WBO champion Arthur Abraham in Germany.
Smith says the late-September showdown is almost done and will now get the chance to become another British super-middleweight world champion - ahead of George Groves and James DeGale, who have both beaten him.
I'm just waiting for the Sauerlands to give me that call and invite me over for a press conference to announce it, he told Ringside.
It's their show, it's their promotion but it is that close. I think all we need is a venue; the O2 Arena in Berlin is booked at the moment, so they are looking for another venue in Berlin.
Smith could join Carl Froch as a super-middleweight world champion by beating Abraham.
He sparred with The Cobra ahead of his one-sided victory over the Armenian-born fighter back in 2010 and believes a repeat performance is well within his capabilities.
But Smith readily admitted he is going to have to produce the fight of his life.
Carl showed the perfect way to beat him, though I never thought I'd see it on the night as easy as it was for Carl, he said.
No disrespect to Abraham; I've said it time and time again, he's a great champion and he's going to be the hardest fight I've ever had and he's going to be the best opponent I've ever been in the ring with.
But this is my world title fight as well and I am going to give it everything. I know my style is made for him but his style is made for me and the way I fight.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/19 -- Stefan Struve ‘100 percent, definitely wants to fight,’ according to manager
It looks like Stefan Struve will return to the Octagon after all.
The 7-foot-tall heavyweight from the Netherla...
- 2014/07/20 -- Donald Cerrone finishes Jim Miller twice in one round
The second time around, there was no mistaking it for a low blow.
Cowboy Donald Cerrone thought he had the fini...
- 2014/11/04 -- DZ Action! Action! Action!
AUBURN, IN-- Over the last couple of years, the Danger Zone people have consistently brought action-pa...
- 2014/07/20 -- Tyson Fury hopes to fight Deontay Wilder for a world title in the near future
Tyson Fury has called for a future fight with Deontay Wilder if the heavy-hitting American lands a world title l...
- 2014/07/20 -- All Eyes on McGregor in Ireland
It’s quite a thing to see an athlete from a niche sport breakthrough into a nation’s broader cultural consciousn...
- 2014/07/23 -- Ranking Boxing’s Best Knockouts of 2014 so Far
*****Ranking Boxing's Best Knockouts of 2014 so Far*****
I told us:
Knockouts can transform good boxers ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Al Haymon at center of Barthelemy legal dispute
Now that super featherweight Rances Barthelemy (20-0, 12 KOs) has claimed the IBF championship belt from Argenis...
- 2014/07/20 -- Correia-Baszler Shifts to Sacramento
Fresh from a UFC 172 win over Jessamyn Duke in April, Brazilian bantamweight prospect Bethe Pitbull Correia will...
- 2014/07/20 -- California Kid Subs Caceres in Three
LAS VEGAS, July 5 – The streak continues. Bantamweight contender Urijah Faber, the man who has never lost a non-...
- 2014/07/20 -- UFC Women’s Bantamweight Champion Ronda Rousey Chooses Monster as Headphone Audio Partner
Monster Products, the world leader in high-performance headphones, and the Ultimate Fighting Championship® organ...
- 2014/07/19 -- White Buffalo zooms in on KZN
Former boxers Hardy Mileham and Francois Botha intend to revive the sport in KwaZulu-Natal. The two have formed ...