Heavyweight Anthony Joshua believes Matt Skelton could receive a nasty shock after he compared him to Audley Harrison.
The Londoner will face Skelton, a former world title challenger, at the Echo Arena in Liverpool on Saturday night, live on Sky Sports.
This is only his seventh professional fight, but Skelton has questioned the quality of Joshua’s opponents so far, comparing him to Harrison, who failed to fulfil his potential in the paid ranks.
Joshua has taken the comparison as a positive, but insists there are stark differences between him and the fellow Olympic gold medallist.
“I take that as the utmost respect you know,” he told Sky Sports News. “Audley has done a lot for boxing, Olympic gold medallist, he opened the doors for the likes of myself and Luke Campbell, Nicola Adams, the whole Team GB.
But at the end of the day we’re different fighters and if he’s comparing me to Audley he’s in for a world of shock, because we’re completely different fighters and that’s just how it goes.
“We’re got different styles, I’m a different man and I’m going to bring something different to the table.
Joshua is rarely satisfied with his performances, despite six stoppage wins, and has been sharpening his skills during an intense training camp.
“It’s a really tough life,” he said. “You see the glitz and the glamour of things, but behind closed doors it’s a lot of sweat, hard work and criticism. Trying to get things right.
“That’s why I am so hard on myself with my performances because we train so hard.
“I really love what I do, that’s why no matter how much pain I go through, how down I am, I get up in the morning refreshed and ready to go to try and get it right.”
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- Four More UFC 176 Fights Find New Homes
After the postponement of UFC 176, UFC matchmakers continue to move fights from the event to other upcoming show...
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC Fight Night 45 predictions
The UFC returns to New Jersey with their mid-range Fight Night series, this time featuring a main event with hom...
- 2014/07/19 -- WBA/WBO champion Rigondeaux vows more aggression; calls out WBC and IBF champs
Undefeated unified junior featherweight world champion and Cuban sensation Guillermo “El Chacal” Rigondeaux (13-...
- 2014/07/19 -- Rocktagon 31 Fight Card Announced For March 29th, Features Several New Mexico Fighters
The Rocktagon MMA promotion has become a staple of Southwest MMA as they have stood on the fence between New Mex...
- 2014/07/19 -- Khan to fight in December, possibly against Alexander or Guerrero
Khan says that his adviser Al Haymon is working on the date for the fight to be televised in the United States o...
- 2014/07/19 -- Stefan Struve ‘100 percent, definitely wants to fight,’ according to manager
It looks like Stefan Struve will return to the Octagon after all.
The 7-foot-tall heavyweight from the Netherla...
- 2014/07/20 -- Tapology Gives Insight To The Early Odds Of The Upcoming Legacy FC 30 Event
In just a few short weeks, the Legacy FC promotion will travel for the very first time to New Mexico where they ...
- 2014/07/20 -- Interview: Heavyweight contender Lucas Browne
WBC #7, IBF #7, WBA #13 heavyweight Lucas “Big Daddy” Browne talks to Fightnews to say he is confident of defeat...
- 2014/07/19 -- Abel Trujillo Faces Ross Pearson at UFC Fight Night Card in Maine
Abel Trujillo will now fight Ross Pearson at UFC Fight Night “Bader vs. St. Preux.”
UFC officials announced th...
- 2014/07/20 -- Conor McGregor: A True Believer
One of my favorite things to do in life is say I’m gonna do something and then go out and do it. There’s no bett...
- 2014/07/23 -- Golovkin/Geale, Jennings/Perez New York City Media Workout Quotes
***Golovkin/Geale, Jennings/Perez New York City Media Workout Quotes***4