Heavyweight Anthony Joshua believes Matt Skelton could receive a nasty shock after he compared him to Audley Harrison.
The Londoner will face Skelton, a former world title challenger, at the Echo Arena in Liverpool on Saturday night, live on Sky Sports.
This is only his seventh professional fight, but Skelton has questioned the quality of Joshua’s opponents so far, comparing him to Harrison, who failed to fulfil his potential in the paid ranks.
Joshua has taken the comparison as a positive, but insists there are stark differences between him and the fellow Olympic gold medallist.
“I take that as the utmost respect you know,” he told Sky Sports News. “Audley has done a lot for boxing, Olympic gold medallist, he opened the doors for the likes of myself and Luke Campbell, Nicola Adams, the whole Team GB.
But at the end of the day we’re different fighters and if he’s comparing me to Audley he’s in for a world of shock, because we’re completely different fighters and that’s just how it goes.
“We’re got different styles, I’m a different man and I’m going to bring something different to the table.
Joshua is rarely satisfied with his performances, despite six stoppage wins, and has been sharpening his skills during an intense training camp.
“It’s a really tough life,” he said. “You see the glitz and the glamour of things, but behind closed doors it’s a lot of sweat, hard work and criticism. Trying to get things right.
“That’s why I am so hard on myself with my performances because we train so hard.
“I really love what I do, that’s why no matter how much pain I go through, how down I am, I get up in the morning refreshed and ready to go to try and get it right.”
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/21 -- Toughest jobs in sports: Sparring partner for Manny Pacquiao
Jeff Eisenberg writes for us:
VENTURA, Calif. — Moments after going five rounds with a sparring partner w...
- 2014/07/20 -- King Of The Cage “Throwdown” Features Several Las Cruces Gyms And Fighters
Tonight is the night, later on this evening, April 19th, King of the Cage “Throwdown” will be live inside the La...
- 2014/07/19 -- Kantun looks to shine in U.S. debut Friday
Super flyweight Juan “El Loquito” Kantun (21-6-3, 15 KOs) of Merida, Yucatan, Mexico will make both his U.S. and...
- 2014/07/20 -- King Of The Cage “Rumble”: Quick Results and Play-By-Play
We are live inside the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Albuquerque, New Mexico for King of the Cage “Rumble”. Stay tuned t...
- 2014/07/20 -- Ronda Rousey wins 2014 ESPY for Best Female Athlete
Ronda Rousey came home a winner once again on Wednesday night. The UFC's women's bantamweight champion claimed t...
- 2014/07/20 -- Invicta FC’s Duda Yankovich back in the gym a week after suffering a stroke
RIO DE JANEIRO -- Nothing is going to stop Duda Yankovich.
Yankovich, a former WIBA light welterweight boxing c...
- 2014/07/19 -- Roy Jones Jr. to fight in Latvia
Former pound-for-pound king and four-division titleholder Roy Jones Jr. is scheduled to fight again.
- 2014/07/20 -- Chad Mendes believes Jose Aldo ‘definitely’ uses performance-enhancing drugs
The war of words between UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo and No. 1 contender Chad Mendes over performance-e...
- 2014/07/19 -- How Ray Borg Changed The Local MMA Landscape In Less Than 10-Fights And Again In Less Than 10-Minutes
On April 4th, 2014 the Legacy FC 30 event was held inside the Route 66 Casino. Much of the promotion during the ...
- 2014/07/20 -- Will Mayweather fight Pacquiao in 2015?
Although Freddie Roach and his new trainee Miguel Cotto are interested for a rematch, they prefer that Mayweathe...
- 2014/07/20 -- Aljamain Sterling Ready to Be a Bantamweight Contender Following First UFC Stoppage
Aljamain Sterling continues to improve each time he sets foot inside the Octagon.
The 24-year-old finished Hugo...