Heavyweight Anthony Joshua believes Matt Skelton could receive a nasty shock after he compared him to Audley Harrison.
The Londoner will face Skelton, a former world title challenger, at the Echo Arena in Liverpool on Saturday night, live on Sky Sports.
This is only his seventh professional fight, but Skelton has questioned the quality of Joshua’s opponents so far, comparing him to Harrison, who failed to fulfil his potential in the paid ranks.
Joshua has taken the comparison as a positive, but insists there are stark differences between him and the fellow Olympic gold medallist.
“I take that as the utmost respect you know,” he told Sky Sports News. “Audley has done a lot for boxing, Olympic gold medallist, he opened the doors for the likes of myself and Luke Campbell, Nicola Adams, the whole Team GB.
But at the end of the day we’re different fighters and if he’s comparing me to Audley he’s in for a world of shock, because we’re completely different fighters and that’s just how it goes.
“We’re got different styles, I’m a different man and I’m going to bring something different to the table.
Joshua is rarely satisfied with his performances, despite six stoppage wins, and has been sharpening his skills during an intense training camp.
“It’s a really tough life,” he said. “You see the glitz and the glamour of things, but behind closed doors it’s a lot of sweat, hard work and criticism. Trying to get things right.
“That’s why I am so hard on myself with my performances because we train so hard.
“I really love what I do, that’s why no matter how much pain I go through, how down I am, I get up in the morning refreshed and ready to go to try and get it right.”
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- Cage Fury Fighting Championships Acquires Xtreme Fight Events, Inks Deal With SNY
On Friday, officials from Cage Fury Fighting Championships announced a deal that would merge the promotion with...
- 2014/11/04 -- Freestyle Combat Challenge
Racine, WI The new year got off to a bang, in the Midwest, with Dave Stasser's "Freestyle Combat Challenge." Eve...
- 2014/07/19 -- Leading manager Lex McMahon takes on role as Titan FC COO
Lex McMahon has long since made his name as one of the top agents in mixed martial arts, with a roster that incl...
- 2014/07/19 -- Abel Trujillo Faces Ross Pearson at UFC Fight Night Card in Maine
Abel Trujillo will now fight Ross Pearson at UFC Fight Night “Bader vs. St. Preux.”
UFC officials announced th...
- 2014/07/19 -- Dana White responds to Nate Diaz: ‘Sit out the rest of your career, it’s your decision’
The latest chapter in the ongoing saga between UFC president Dana White and the Diaz brothers is in the books.
- 2014/07/19 -- Chris Arreola has elbow surgery
Heavyweight contender Chris Arreola underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left elbow on Monday in Los Angeles, t...
- 2014/07/20 -- Anthony Joshua makes quick work of Matt Skelton in Liverpool
British heavyweight Anthony Joshua enjoyed another short night, stopping veteran Matt Skelton in the second roun...
- 2014/07/19 -- Kevin Casey on Second UFC Run: I’m Here to Make Statements, Not Be Nice to People
Kevin Casey has been a very busy man in the last 12 months.
He had three fights in Resurrection Fighting Allia...
- 2014/07/19 -- Is Chris Algieri bad news for Pacquiao?
By Yannis Mihanos: After hitting the jackpot with his surprising victory over the heavy hitter Ruslan Provodniko...
- 2014/07/19 -- Mirko Larghetti fired up to try and end Marco Huck’s cruiserweight reign
Mirko Larghetti plans to end Marco Huck's stay as WBO cruiserweight champion in Halle next month.
- 2014/07/04 -- Extreme Warriors
LaSalle, IL. Just when you think that a show can't get much bigger something happens that it does. This is ...