Heavyweight Anthony Joshua believes Matt Skelton could receive a nasty shock after he compared him to Audley Harrison.
The Londoner will face Skelton, a former world title challenger, at the Echo Arena in Liverpool on Saturday night, live on Sky Sports.
This is only his seventh professional fight, but Skelton has questioned the quality of Joshua’s opponents so far, comparing him to Harrison, who failed to fulfil his potential in the paid ranks.
Joshua has taken the comparison as a positive, but insists there are stark differences between him and the fellow Olympic gold medallist.
“I take that as the utmost respect you know,” he told Sky Sports News. “Audley has done a lot for boxing, Olympic gold medallist, he opened the doors for the likes of myself and Luke Campbell, Nicola Adams, the whole Team GB.
But at the end of the day we’re different fighters and if he’s comparing me to Audley he’s in for a world of shock, because we’re completely different fighters and that’s just how it goes.
“We’re got different styles, I’m a different man and I’m going to bring something different to the table.
Joshua is rarely satisfied with his performances, despite six stoppage wins, and has been sharpening his skills during an intense training camp.
“It’s a really tough life,” he said. “You see the glitz and the glamour of things, but behind closed doors it’s a lot of sweat, hard work and criticism. Trying to get things right.
“That’s why I am so hard on myself with my performances because we train so hard.
“I really love what I do, that’s why no matter how much pain I go through, how down I am, I get up in the morning refreshed and ready to go to try and get it right.”
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- Correia-Baszler Shifts to Sacramento
Fresh from a UFC 172 win over Jessamyn Duke in April, Brazilian bantamweight prospect Bethe Pitbull Correia will...
- 2014/07/19 -- Half-Year Awards: The Fighters
This is it – the unofficial half-year awards season is coming to a close, and all that’s left is to determine t...
- 2014/07/20 -- Amir Khan will fight Floyd Mayweather but Manny Pacquiao is on hit-list next
Amir Khan insists the widely-touted fight between him and Floyd Mayweather Jnr will happen – though his next sho...
- 2014/07/19 -- Gray Maynard-Fabricio Camoes Becomes Latest UFC 176 Matchup Moved to Maine
A lightweight tilt between Gray Maynard and Fabricio Camoes will now take place Aug. 16 in Bangor, Maine.
- 2014/07/19 -- Dr. Evan and Mr. Dunham
Since the Escudero fight, which earned him Submission of the Night honors, Dunham has nabbed three Fight of the ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Eric Kelly Choke Submits Rob Lisita in Second Round of One FC 18 Main Event
TAIPEI, Taiwan -- Eric Kelly and Rob Lisita went head-to-head the One Fighting Championship 18 “War of Dragons” ...
- 2014/07/20 -- Dereck Chisora and Tyson Fury agree to big-money bet ahead of rematch in Manchester
Dereck Chisora and Tyson Fury shook hands on a £100,000-bet on the outcome of their heavyweight rematch on...
- 2014/07/19 -- Trainer Henry Ramirez joins Team Flores
Following his first defeat as a pro after winning his first 14 bouts, heavyweight prospect Alexander Flores and ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Vyacheslav Glazkov fighting Aug. 9
Heavyweight contender Vyacheslav Czar Glazkov, coming off a career-best victory against longtime contender Tomas...
- 2014/07/20 -- Invicta FC’s Duda Yankovich back in the gym a week after suffering a stroke
RIO DE JANEIRO -- Nothing is going to stop Duda Yankovich.
Yankovich, a former WIBA light welterweight boxing c...
- 2014/07/20 -- Alistair Overeem grateful for new team ‘chemistry’, still optimistic about fighting Junior dos Santos
UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem is set to return to the Octagon on Sept. 5th when he faces Ben Rothwell at UFC ...