Heavyweight Anthony Joshua believes Matt Skelton could receive a nasty shock after he compared him to Audley Harrison.
The Londoner will face Skelton, a former world title challenger, at the Echo Arena in Liverpool on Saturday night, live on Sky Sports.
This is only his seventh professional fight, but Skelton has questioned the quality of Joshua’s opponents so far, comparing him to Harrison, who failed to fulfil his potential in the paid ranks.
Joshua has taken the comparison as a positive, but insists there are stark differences between him and the fellow Olympic gold medallist.
“I take that as the utmost respect you know,” he told Sky Sports News. “Audley has done a lot for boxing, Olympic gold medallist, he opened the doors for the likes of myself and Luke Campbell, Nicola Adams, the whole Team GB.
But at the end of the day we’re different fighters and if he’s comparing me to Audley he’s in for a world of shock, because we’re completely different fighters and that’s just how it goes.
“We’re got different styles, I’m a different man and I’m going to bring something different to the table.
Joshua is rarely satisfied with his performances, despite six stoppage wins, and has been sharpening his skills during an intense training camp.
“It’s a really tough life,” he said. “You see the glitz and the glamour of things, but behind closed doors it’s a lot of sweat, hard work and criticism. Trying to get things right.
“That’s why I am so hard on myself with my performances because we train so hard.
“I really love what I do, that’s why no matter how much pain I go through, how down I am, I get up in the morning refreshed and ready to go to try and get it right.”
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC Fight Night 45 predictions
The UFC returns to New Jersey with their mid-range Fight Night series, this time featuring a main event with hom...
- 2014/07/04 -- Ironheart Crown “Exodus”
The transition of the Illinois shows is complete. A clamp down by the Illinois boxing commis...
- 2014/11/04 -- Fight Night at Broadripple Place
Fort Wayne, IN. The Danger Zone organization presented it's second show at Broadripple Place on Sunda...
- 2014/07/19 -- John Dodson Out of Action Until 2015 Following ACL Surgery
John Dodson went under the knife to repair a torn meniscus as well as his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) on We...
- 2014/07/04 -- Silverback’s “Heavy Arsenal”
Lasalle, IL. The little giant, Phil Johns, has announced his retirement but continues to support and pr...
- 2014/07/19 -- Alex Arthur is backing Stephen Simmons to beat bitter rival Wadi Camacho
Alex Arthur is backing Stephen Simmons to do what he didn't do - and beat his bitter rival on home soil.
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC Fight Night Atlantic City Prelims: Gleison Tibau Hands Pat Healy Fourth Straight Defeat
Timely takedowns, excellent lateral movement and intermittent power punches carried Gleison Tibau to a unanimous...
- 2014/07/20 -- Invicta FC Boosts Their Roster With The Signing Of FIT NHB’s Amber Brown
It was announced several days ago that FIT NHB’s Amber Brown would make the biggest move of her career and jump ...
- 2014/07/19 -- George Groves to fight Sept. 20
Super middleweight contender George Groves is not dwelling on his knockout loss to Carl Froch in their super mid...
- 2014/07/19 -- Maidana vs. Mayweather 2: Upset in the making?
(Photo credit: Idris Irba) By MM: With the rematch set, and the fight tour underway, most fight fans feel that F...
- 2014/07/20 -- UFC 176’s Green-Trujillo, ‘Formiga’-Makovsky Bouts Moved to Aug. 16 Maine Card
Less than an hour after the Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the cancelation of UFC 176, two of the eve...