Heavyweight contender Chris Arreola underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left elbow on Monday in Los Angeles, trainer Henry Ramirez told ESPN.com.
On May 10, Arreola challenged Bermane Stiverne for a vacant world title — the belt that Vitali Klitschko relinquished when he retired in December — and got knocked out in the sixth round in Los Angeles in a rematch of a previous decision loss to Stiverne.
Ramirez said the elbow has been bothering Arreola (35-4, 31 KOs), 33, of Riverside, Calif., for the past few years but that it further deteriorated during training camp for the title fight.
The doctor said he couldn’t believe that Chris has been fighting all these years with it, said Ramirez, who was at Kerlan-Jobe Surgery Center with Arreola, who was waiting to be released. He always favored the arm and this camp it was happening almost every sparring session, especially when he got hit on it. It really bothered him in camp. And he hurt it in the fight.
The doctor termed it an arthritic elbow. They did a scope. They cleaned up scar tissue and fragments.
Ramirez said Arreola would not have full motion in the elbow for about a month and then would have stem cell treatment before he being allowed to train again in about eight weeks.
He had a cortisone shot going into the fight, which he got in late April, Ramirez said. But by the time the fight came it had gone away. It’s something he’s been dealing with but it has gotten progressively worse.
Ramirez and promoter Dan Goossen said if all goes well with Arreola’s recovery the plan is to schedule his next fight for sometime in October.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- Legacy FC 30 Quick Results And Post Fight Analysis: Rough Night For Jackson’s MMA, Holm Gets Late Finish Lots Of Post-Fight Storylines
Another memorable night of fighting is in the books and the Legacy FC promotion’s debut venture into the state o...
- 2014/07/04 -- “Battle of the Badges”
Hammond, IN. It seems that the partnership between, martial arts instructor and originator of Total Co...
- 2014/07/20 -- Kevin Croom to Meet Anthony Birchak May 9th at MFC 40
Early Monday morning, Maximum Fighting Championship announced the signing of New Mexico based fighter Kevin Croo...
- 2014/07/19 -- Demetrious Johnson-Chris Cariaso Flyweight Title Co-Main Event Joins UFC 177
Demetrious Johnson will defend his UFC flyweight title against Chris Cariaso at UFC 177.
UFC officials Tuesday ...
- 2014/07/18 -- Maximo Blanco Set to Face Dan Hooker at UFC Fight Night in Japan
Two featherweights fresh off victories will meet at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, on Sept. 20, when Max...
- 2014/07/20 -- Fortunes changed for five at UFC Fight Night 45
Matchmaking usually isn't so easy when it comes to people at the top of their divisions.
You have to balance ou...
- 2014/07/21 -- Thomas Dulorme Eyes Mauricio Herrera Showdown
Thomas Dulorme Eyes Mauricio Herrera Showdown
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the ma...
- 2014/07/20 -- Commonwealth Games: Savannah Marshall relishing her return to the ring
Despite not having boxed for six months, Savannah Marshall is set to compete for a medal in women's middleweight...
- 2014/07/04 -- Shocked by Events
By Rick Morrison
We are now into the second week after the disasters in New York and Washington and of t...
- 2014/07/19 -- Ronda Rousey belongs ‘in the top three’ in pound-for-pound rankings
Few, if any, would argue Ronda Rousey isn't the top female fighter on the planet. While Cyborg Justino might tak...
- 2014/07/20 -- Donald Cerrone finishes Jim Miller twice in one round
The second time around, there was no mistaking it for a low blow.
Cowboy Donald Cerrone thought he had the fini...