Rances Barthelemy is the new IBF super-featherweight champion after a unanimous points win over Argenis Mendez in Miami.
Bathelemy improved his record to 20-0 after all three judges scored the fight 115-111 in favour of the Cuban.
Barthelemy had beaten Mendez back in January via a second round stoppage only for the decision to be changed to a “no contest” after replays confirmed the fight-ending combination had come after the bell.
There was no such controversy this time, although the margin of victory could have been greater for Barthelemy however he was deducted points in the ninth and 10th rounds for low blows.
This was a difficult fight, Barthelemy said. I faced an Argenis Mendez, who risked it all to keep his title. Thankfully, I knew how to overcome all obstacles.
Mendez, who beat Mexico’s Juan Carlos Salgado for the title in March 2013, was under pressure for long periods of the fight.
He did enjoy a mini-revival in the seventh and eighth rounds, but Barthelemy finished strongly to claim the belt.
On the undercard at the American Airlines Arena, Jeff Lacy and Edison Miranda both suffered loses..
Lacy, who held the IBF super-middleweight belt before being beaten by Joe Calzaghe, was stopped in the second round by Umberto Savigne, while two-time world title challenger Miranda was outclassed over 10 rounds by undefeated Cuban cruiserweight Yunier Dorticos.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- Lineup Finalized for Aug. 1 Lion Fight 17 Card
Kickboxing promotion Lion Fight has finalized the bill for its Aug. 1 card at the Foxwoods Resort Casino in Mash...
- 2014/07/19 -- Struve Scratched from Mitrione Fight
The UFC 175 main card took a blow Saturday night when the heavyweight bout between Stefan Struve and Matt Mitrio...
- 2014/07/18 -- Canelo to return in November, likely against Kirkland
The reported venue could be in San Antonio at the Alamadome where its capacity is 40,000 seats. Due to the cheap...
- 2014/07/19 -- Mirko Larghetti fired up to try and end Marco Huck’s cruiserweight reign
Mirko Larghetti plans to end Marco Huck's stay as WBO cruiserweight champion in Halle next month.
- 2014/07/19 -- Dana White responds to Nate Diaz: ‘Sit out the rest of your career, it’s your decision’
The latest chapter in the ongoing saga between UFC president Dana White and the Diaz brothers is in the books.
- 2014/07/19 -- Anthony Joshua ready to shock Matt Skelton after Audley Harrison comparison
Heavyweight Anthony Joshua believes Matt Skelton could receive a nasty shock after he compared him to Audley Har...
- 2014/07/18 -- Maximo Blanco Set to Face Dan Hooker at UFC Fight Night in Japan
Two featherweights fresh off victories will meet at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, on Sept. 20, when Max...
- 2014/07/19 -- Victor Henry Takes Out Tokoro, Nam Phan Rebounds at Grandslam MMA ‘Way of the Cage’
If Victor Henry was brought to Japan to become a “W” on someone else’s record, nobody told the Californian.
- 2014/07/19 -- Amir Khan released on bail after being arrested on suspicion of two assaults
Former two-time world champion Amir Khan has been released on bail after being arrested on suspicion of two assa...
- 2014/07/19 -- No Peace – Smith KOs Duke in One
ATLANTIC CITY, NJ, July 16 - Bantamweight veteran Leslie Smith wasn’t much of a “Peacemaker” against The Ultimat...
- 2014/07/19 -- White Buffalo zooms in on KZN
Former boxers Hardy Mileham and Francois Botha intend to revive the sport in KwaZulu-Natal. The two have formed ...