Rances Barthelemy is the new IBF super-featherweight champion after a unanimous points win over Argenis Mendez in Miami.
Bathelemy improved his record to 20-0 after all three judges scored the fight 115-111 in favour of the Cuban.
Barthelemy had beaten Mendez back in January via a second round stoppage only for the decision to be changed to a “no contest” after replays confirmed the fight-ending combination had come after the bell.
There was no such controversy this time, although the margin of victory could have been greater for Barthelemy however he was deducted points in the ninth and 10th rounds for low blows.
This was a difficult fight, Barthelemy said. I faced an Argenis Mendez, who risked it all to keep his title. Thankfully, I knew how to overcome all obstacles.
Mendez, who beat Mexico’s Juan Carlos Salgado for the title in March 2013, was under pressure for long periods of the fight.
He did enjoy a mini-revival in the seventh and eighth rounds, but Barthelemy finished strongly to claim the belt.
On the undercard at the American Airlines Arena, Jeff Lacy and Edison Miranda both suffered loses..
Lacy, who held the IBF super-middleweight belt before being beaten by Joe Calzaghe, was stopped in the second round by Umberto Savigne, while two-time world title challenger Miranda was outclassed over 10 rounds by undefeated Cuban cruiserweight Yunier Dorticos.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- King Of The Cage “Throwdown” Features Several Las Cruces Gyms And Fighters
Tonight is the night, later on this evening, April 19th, King of the Cage “Throwdown” will be live inside the La...
- 2014/07/20 -- Aljamain Sterling Ready to Be a Bantamweight Contender Following First UFC Stoppage
Aljamain Sterling continues to improve each time he sets foot inside the Octagon.
The 24-year-old finished Hugo...
- 2014/07/19 -- Gray Maynard-Fabricio Camoes Becomes Latest UFC 176 Matchup Moved to Maine
A lightweight tilt between Gray Maynard and Fabricio Camoes will now take place Aug. 16 in Bangor, Maine.
- 2014/07/04 -- Reality Submission Challenge
Bethalto, IL-- When anybody talks to promoter, Mike Griffin, about submission wrestling, they can see ...
- 2014/07/20 -- Kevin Croom to Meet Anthony Birchak May 9th at MFC 40
Early Monday morning, Maximum Fighting Championship announced the signing of New Mexico based fighter Kevin Croo...
- 2014/07/19 -- Carl Frampton will bid for Kiko Martinez’s IBF belt in September
Carl Frampton will challenge Kiko Martinez for his IBF super-bantamweight title in September.
The Northern Irel...
- 2014/07/19 -- Is Chris Algieri bad news for Pacquiao?
By Yannis Mihanos: After hitting the jackpot with his surprising victory over the heavy hitter Ruslan Provodniko...
- 2014/07/19 -- Phil Harris: Well-Prepared for Debut Two
I have been given a second chance, so I’m not going to waste it. I’m going to give it my best shot and we’ll see...
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC Fight Night Atlantic City Prelims: Gleison Tibau Hands Pat Healy Fourth Straight Defeat
Timely takedowns, excellent lateral movement and intermittent power punches carried Gleison Tibau to a unanimous...
- 2014/07/20 -- Mayweather-Maidana rematch booked
LAS VEGAS -- Although pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. said last week that he planned to give a rematch...
- 2014/07/20 -- For Barboza, Loss a Learning Experience
When you hear someone referred to as a “martial artist,” it’s easy to ignore the oxymoron of the term.