Tony Bellew reignited his fierce rivalry with Nathan Cleverly seconds after his fifth round stoppage of Julio Cesar Dos Santos in Liverpool.
The home favourite made his second fight at cruiserweight a successful one, following up his win over Valery Brudov in fine style, but the sparks flew outside the ring immediately after the fight.
Cleverly had earlier defeated Alejandro Valori in a fourth round stoppage on the same bill and the pair were interviewed together afterwards, with the victories pointing to a rematch between the two foes.
Welshman Cleverly successfully defended his WBO light-heavyweight title against Bellew in October 2011 before losing the belt to Russia’s Sergey Kovalev last August.
Bellew said: He knows I want to do it. He knows what I want and we can do it. I ain’t 175 (pounds) now. We both know deep down that I was dead at them scales. The tables have turned son.
I ain’t a 16-fight novice who has only fought at British title level. I am now an established pro who has fought better pros than you in lesser fights.
Let’s get this straight, I’ve achieved the same (as you). You’re a plastic world champion. You were never a true world champion. We fought for a belt that shouldn’t have even been a world title. It was no better than a domestic title. Forget that belt, forget everything. I just want to hurt you.
Cleverly was keen to engage with his old rival, coming out fighting as well.
Don’t worry about this talking. I’ve already come to his home town and beat this guy and guess what? I’m going to do it again and this time it will be in Cardiff, he said.
Keep on talking mate because I’ve already beaten you. I’m going to spank you again. I’ve already spanked you and I’m going to do it again.
Promoter Eddie Hearn gave a strong indication that the rematch would take place before the end of the year.
We’re looking at October or November, here, Manchester or London, it doesn’t matter. It’s going to be a great fight, Hearn said.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- Cage Fury Fighting Championships Acquires Xtreme Fight Events, Inks Deal With SNY
On Friday, officials from Cage Fury Fighting Championships announced a deal that would merge the promotion with...
- 2014/07/19 -- Amir Khan released on bail after being arrested on suspicion of two assaults
Former two-time world champion Amir Khan has been released on bail after being arrested on suspicion of two assa...
- 2014/07/20 -- Legacy FC 30 Quick Results And Post Fight Analysis: Rough Night For Jackson’s MMA, Holm Gets Late Finish Lots Of Post-Fight Storylines
Another memorable night of fighting is in the books and the Legacy FC promotion’s debut venture into the state o...
- 2014/07/20 -- For Barboza, Loss a Learning Experience
When you hear someone referred to as a “martial artist,” it’s easy to ignore the oxymoron of the term.
- 2014/07/19 -- John Dodson Out of Action Until 2015 Following ACL Surgery
John Dodson went under the knife to repair a torn meniscus as well as his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) on We...
- 2014/07/20 -- Hawaii’s Rumble On The Rock: The Tournament That Carlos Condit Could Have Fought Anderson Silva
The time was late-January of 2006 and a Hawaiian promotion was about to start a tournament that included one of ...
- 2014/07/04 -- Intensity in Racine
RACINE, WI--Less than twenty four hours after his battle with Chris Lytle, just outside of St. Louis, Dave Stras...
- 2014/07/20 -- Zou Shiming talks about his 10-round debut on Saturday on HBO2
Just 15 months and five fights removed from his professional debut, two-time Chinese Olympic gold medallist and ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Bobby Green Replaces Michael Johnson, Faces Josh Thomson at UFC on Fox 12
Lightweight bouts between Bobby Green and Abel Trujillo, as well as Michael Johnson and Josh Thomson are no more...
- 2014/07/20 -- King Of The Cage “Rumble”: Quick Results and Play-By-Play
We are live inside the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Albuquerque, New Mexico for King of the Cage “Rumble”. Stay tuned t...
- 2014/07/20 -- Dereck Chisora and Tyson Fury agree to big-money bet ahead of rematch in Manchester
Dereck Chisora and Tyson Fury shook hands on a £100,000-bet on the outcome of their heavyweight rematch on...