Tony Bellew reignited his fierce rivalry with Nathan Cleverly seconds after his fifth round stoppage of Julio Cesar Dos Santos in Liverpool.
The home favourite made his second fight at cruiserweight a successful one, following up his win over Valery Brudov in fine style, but the sparks flew outside the ring immediately after the fight.
Cleverly had earlier defeated Alejandro Valori in a fourth round stoppage on the same bill and the pair were interviewed together afterwards, with the victories pointing to a rematch between the two foes.
Welshman Cleverly successfully defended his WBO light-heavyweight title against Bellew in October 2011 before losing the belt to Russia’s Sergey Kovalev last August.
Bellew said: He knows I want to do it. He knows what I want and we can do it. I ain’t 175 (pounds) now. We both know deep down that I was dead at them scales. The tables have turned son.
I ain’t a 16-fight novice who has only fought at British title level. I am now an established pro who has fought better pros than you in lesser fights.
Let’s get this straight, I’ve achieved the same (as you). You’re a plastic world champion. You were never a true world champion. We fought for a belt that shouldn’t have even been a world title. It was no better than a domestic title. Forget that belt, forget everything. I just want to hurt you.
Cleverly was keen to engage with his old rival, coming out fighting as well.
Don’t worry about this talking. I’ve already come to his home town and beat this guy and guess what? I’m going to do it again and this time it will be in Cardiff, he said.
Keep on talking mate because I’ve already beaten you. I’m going to spank you again. I’ve already spanked you and I’m going to do it again.
Promoter Eddie Hearn gave a strong indication that the rematch would take place before the end of the year.
We’re looking at October or November, here, Manchester or London, it doesn’t matter. It’s going to be a great fight, Hearn said.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- Tyson Fury faces misconduct charge over latest outburst against Dereck Chisora
Tyson Fury has been summoned to appear before the British Board of Boxing Control over his latest performance du...
- 2014/07/19 -- Promoter Eddie Hearn confident Kell Brook will be crowned world champion in August
Promoter Eddie Hearn expects Kell Brook to rip away Shawn Porter’s world title with a stunning knockout win afte...
- 2014/07/20 -- By The Numbers: A Tribute to BJ Penn
If BJ Penn is not one of your all-time favorite fighters then you’re doing it wrong.
At UFC 31, a 22-year-old B...
- 2014/07/19 -- Curtis Woodhouse announces his retirement from boxing
boxing on Ringside.
The 34-year-old has called time on his career for the second time after losing his British...
- 2014/07/20 -- Fab Five: Cerrone’s Defining UFC Moments
With nine UFC and five WEC post-fight bonuses to his name, Donald Cerrone is one of those fighters who makes it ...
- 2014/07/20 -- For Barboza, Loss a Learning Experience
When you hear someone referred to as a “martial artist,” it’s easy to ignore the oxymoron of the term.
- 2014/07/04 -- Intensity in Racine
RACINE, WI--Less than twenty four hours after his battle with Chris Lytle, just outside of St. Louis, Dave Stras...
- 2014/07/19 -- Callum Smith looking to perform in super-middleweight clash with Vladine Biosse
Callum Smith says he must perform in his televised clash with Vladine Biosse on July 12 in order to justify his ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Carl Frampton will bid for Kiko Martinez’s IBF belt in September
Carl Frampton will challenge Kiko Martinez for his IBF super-bantamweight title in September.
The Northern Irel...
- 2014/07/20 -- Hawaii’s Rumble On The Rock: The Tournament That Carlos Condit Could Have Fought Anderson Silva
The time was late-January of 2006 and a Hawaiian promotion was about to start a tournament that included one of ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Pros react to Donald Cerrone vs. Jim Miller, Edson Barboza vs. Evan Dunham, more
The last time the UFC traveled to Atlantic City, Gray Maynard and Clay Guida didn't exactly give the New Jersey ...