Yoshihiro Akiyama will look to put four straight losses behind him when he returns to the Octagon against Kyle Noke at UFC Fight Night “Hunt vs. Nelson.”
UFC officials announced the pairing through a promotional video in Japan to promote the Sept. 20 event.
For “Sexyama,” the matchup will serve as his first fight in almost two and a half years. The last time the 38-year-old fought was against Jake Shields at UFC 144 in 2012, which he lost by decision. Prior to that contest, Akiyama was knocked out with punches by Vitor Belfort at UFC 133; outpointed by Michael Bisping in the main event of UFC 120; and submitted by Chris Leben at UFC 116.
Akiyama’s lone victory in the UFC came against Alan Belcher at UFC 100, where he notched a split-decision win. While the judoka’s record on American soil is less than stellar, he has only suffered one loss in his home country while competing for promotions like Dream and K-1.
The defeat occurred in the same venue that UFC Fight Night will take place, Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.
Noke will be trying to bounce back from a unanimous decision loss against Patrick Cote at “The Ultimate Fighter Nations” Finale in April. The Jackson-Wink MMA product has dropped three of his last four tilts under the Zuffa banner, but with a fight similar to his knockout of Charlie Brenneman at UFC 152, “KO” can quickly jump back up the welterweight ladder.
The Australian is a capable kickboxer who also maintains a solid chin -- his only knockout loss in 27 career bouts came at the hands of Scott Smith during an EliteXC event in 2008.
UFC Fight Night Japan is anchored by a heavyweight clash featuring Roy Nelson versus Mark Hunt, and co-stars Takanori Gomi vs. Myles Jury at 155 pounds. Also, Miesha Tate will lock horns with the undefeated Rin Nakai and Chris Cariaso will do battle with Kyoji Horiguchi in a bantamweight tilt.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/18 -- Maximo Blanco Set to Face Dan Hooker at UFC Fight Night in Japan
Two featherweights fresh off victories will meet at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, on Sept. 20, when Max...
- 2014/07/19 -- Hand injury KOs David Price until December
Yesterday former British and Commonwealth heavyweight beltholder David Price (18-2, 15 KOs) underwent surgery to...
- 2014/07/20 -- Ricky Burns set for boxing return away from Scotland, says promoter Eddie Hearn
Ricky Burns is likely to fight away from Scotland when he returns to the ring following Friday night's humbling ...
- 2014/07/03 -- Cage Rage III
Through all changes that have happened over the last few months, it is good to see that at least one thing remai...
- 2014/07/04 -- EVENT RESULTS FOR RING OF HONOR
1.)Vance McDonald Win by rear naked Choke against against Jon Thompson
- 2014/07/18 -- Canelo to return in November, likely against Kirkland
The reported venue could be in San Antonio at the Alamadome where its capacity is 40,000 seats. Due to the cheap...
- 2014/07/20 -- Cage Fury Fighting Championships Acquires Xtreme Fight Events, Inks Deal With SNY
On Friday, officials from Cage Fury Fighting Championships announced a deal that would merge the promotion with...
- 2014/07/20 -- Danny Garcia and Lamont Peterson to defend world titles in Brooklyn
Danny Garcia and Lamont Peterson will warm-up for a potential unification fight by appearing on the same bill on...
- 2014/07/21 -- Tyson Fury dismisses misconduct charge ahead of Chisora heavyweight fight
Tyson Fury dismisses misconduct charge ahead of Chisora heavyweight fight
Tyson Fury insists prepa...
- 2014/07/20 -- Inside The Mind Of Westside Power Gym’s Carlos Casados
MMA is well-known in the state of New Mexico as the area plays host to an array and mixture of talent spanning f...
- 2014/07/19 -- Carl Frampton will bid for Kiko Martinez’s IBF belt in September
Carl Frampton will challenge Kiko Martinez for his IBF super-bantamweight title in September.
The Northern Irel...