RIO DE JANEIRO — World Series of Fighting welterweight champion Rousimar Palhares is back in the gym, and he’s training to beat Jon Fitch.
The leglock specialist asked to be taken off the WSOF 11 card on July 5 to assist his mother on her surgery for thrombosis in her legs, but Fitch, who was set to fight for the welterweight title, didn’t approve of his decision.
Fitch called Palhares unprofessional, wishing he had manned up and fought him. By saying that, he made things personal.
My family is my life, Palhares told MMAFighting.com. I was sad that he said those things, but I’m not bothered. We’ll settle our things inside the cage. I don’t hope he’s my next opponent, I want him to be. I’m coming after him. I will train for him. I want him.
I don’t know how the fight would go, he added, but I will be ready to do what I want.
After losing to Josh Burkman in his WSOF debut, Fitch returned to the win column with decision wins over Marcelo Alfaya and Dennis Hallman, but Palhares isn’t worried about Fitch’s recent performances.
I don’t care. I don’t even watch (his fights). I’m worried about myself and what I’m going to do in the fight, he said. I will be ready to fight anytime they want. I want to fight this year. Please, let me fight this year, and let me fight Jon Fitch.
Toquinho returned to training this week at Team Nogueira, and he’s happy to see his mother recover.
She’s way better now, he said. She doesn’t feel any pain anymore after the surgery. I’m feeling better now that I know she’s fine. It’s tough to see your mother in a situation like that. I did everything I could to help her.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/19 -- Gray Maynard-Fabricio Camoes Becomes Latest UFC 176 Matchup Moved to Maine
A lightweight tilt between Gray Maynard and Fabricio Camoes will now take place Aug. 16 in Bangor, Maine.
- 2014/07/19 -- No Peace – Smith KOs Duke in One
ATLANTIC CITY, NJ, July 16 - Bantamweight veteran Leslie Smith wasn’t much of a “Peacemaker” against The Ultimat...
- 2014/07/19 -- Eddie Bravo Mends Fences with Ralek Gracie, Declines Invite to Compete at Metamoris 4
Eddie Bravo has laid relatively low since competing against Royler Gracie at Metamoris 3 in March.
- 2014/07/19 -- Dana White responds to Nate Diaz: ‘Sit out the rest of your career, it’s your decision’
The latest chapter in the ongoing saga between UFC president Dana White and the Diaz brothers is in the books.
- 2014/07/20 -- Ronda Rousey wins 2014 ESPY for Best Female Athlete
Ronda Rousey came home a winner once again on Wednesday night. The UFC's women's bantamweight champion claimed t...
- 2014/07/03 -- Cage Rage III
Through all changes that have happened over the last few months, it is good to see that at least one thing remai...
- 2014/07/04 -- “Battle of the Badges”
Hammond, IN. It seems that the partnership between, martial arts instructor and originator of Total Co...
- 2014/07/20 -- UFC 176’s Green-Trujillo, ‘Formiga’-Makovsky Bouts Moved to Aug. 16 Maine Card
Less than an hour after the Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the cancelation of UFC 176, two of the eve...
- 2014/07/19 -- Chris Weidman: ‘I want to fight Vitor Belfort’ next
H ow much has life changed for UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman since he won the title? He was getting se...
- 2014/07/19 -- The must have fights of 2015
Every year I hope that the biggest fights in boxing will happen. I’m pretty much always disappointed but it does...
- 2014/07/19 -- Carl Frampton will bid for Kiko Martinez’s IBF belt in September
Carl Frampton will challenge Kiko Martinez for his IBF super-bantamweight title in September.
The Northern Irel...