RIO DE JANEIRO -- World Series of Fighting welterweight champion Rousimar Palhares is back in the gym, and he’s training to beat Jon Fitch.
The leglock specialist asked to be taken off the WSOF 11 card on July 5 to assist his mother on her surgery for thrombosis in her legs, but Fitch, who was set to fight for the welterweight title, didn’t approve of his decision.
Fitch called Palhares unprofessional, wishing he had manned up and fought him. By saying that, he made things personal.
My family is my life, Palhares told MMAFighting.com. I was sad that he said those things, but I’m not bothered. We’ll settle our things inside the cage. I don’t hope he’s my next opponent, I want him to be. I’m coming after him. I will train for him. I want him.
I don’t know how the fight would go, he added, but I will be ready to do what I want.
After losing to Josh Burkman in his WSOF debut, Fitch returned to the win column with decision wins over Marcelo Alfaya and Dennis Hallman, but Palhares isn’t worried about Fitch’s recent performances.
I don’t care. I don’t even watch (his fights). I’m worried about myself and what I’m going to do in the fight, he said. I will be ready to fight anytime they want. I want to fight this year. Please, let me fight this year, and let me fight Jon Fitch.
Toquinho returned to training this week at Team Nogueira, and he’s happy to see his mother recover.
She’s way better now, he said. She doesn’t feel any pain anymore after the surgery. I’m feeling better now that I know she’s fine. It’s tough to see your mother in a situation like that. I did everything I could to help her.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/19 -- Abel Trujillo Faces Ross Pearson at UFC Fight Night Card in Maine
Abel Trujillo will now fight Ross Pearson at UFC Fight Night “Bader vs. St. Preux.”
UFC officials announced th...
- 2019/01/05 -- Tyson Fury pulls out of fight with Alexander Ustinov
Tyson Fury has withdrawn from Saturday night's heavyweight fight with Belarusian Alexander Ustinov.
- 2014/07/19 -- TUF 8 winner Efrain Escudero signs with Titan, debuts on Aug. 22 card
A former Ultimate Fighter champion has found a home in the Titan Fighting Championships.
Efrain Escudero, the T...
- 2014/07/20 -- Floyd Mayweather-Marcos Maidana Rematch Set For Sept. 13 in Las Vegas
Floyd Mayweather officially announced via social media that his highly-anticipated rematch with Marcos Maidana i...
- 2014/07/04 -- RSF Packs Them In
BELLEVILLE, IL--There are times that, despite a multitude of small short comings, the big event is a hug...
- 2014/07/19 -- Paul Smith says he will get his shot at Arthur Abraham in September
Paul Smith says he will get his world-title chance in September.
The Liverpudlian super-middleweight told Rings...
- 2014/07/19 -- Tete challenges for vacant IBF title
Zolani Tete has a chance of winning the vacant IBF junior bantamweight title when he fights in Japan this weeken...
- 2014/07/20 -- UFC Bantamweight Queen Ronda Rousey Named ‘Best Female Athlete’ at 2014 ESPYs
UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has added another accolade to her name, winning the 2014 ESPY for...
- 2014/07/19 -- Bobby Green Replaces Michael Johnson, Faces Josh Thomson at UFC on Fox 12
Lightweight bouts between Bobby Green and Abel Trujillo, as well as Michael Johnson and Josh Thomson are no more...
- 2014/07/19 -- Bellator 123 to Include Curran-‘Pitbull’ Title Fight, TNA Champ Lashley, ‘King Mo’
Bellator MMA is going all-in for its head-to-head showdown with the Ultimate Fighting Championship on Sept. 5.
- 2014/07/19 -- George Groves to fight Sept. 20
Super middleweight contender George Groves is not dwelling on his knockout loss to Carl Froch in their super mid...