RIO DE JANEIRO — World Series of Fighting welterweight champion Rousimar Palhares is back in the gym, and he’s training to beat Jon Fitch.
The leglock specialist asked to be taken off the WSOF 11 card on July 5 to assist his mother on her surgery for thrombosis in her legs, but Fitch, who was set to fight for the welterweight title, didn’t approve of his decision.
Fitch called Palhares unprofessional, wishing he had manned up and fought him. By saying that, he made things personal.
My family is my life, Palhares told MMAFighting.com. I was sad that he said those things, but I’m not bothered. We’ll settle our things inside the cage. I don’t hope he’s my next opponent, I want him to be. I’m coming after him. I will train for him. I want him.
I don’t know how the fight would go, he added, but I will be ready to do what I want.
After losing to Josh Burkman in his WSOF debut, Fitch returned to the win column with decision wins over Marcelo Alfaya and Dennis Hallman, but Palhares isn’t worried about Fitch’s recent performances.
I don’t care. I don’t even watch (his fights). I’m worried about myself and what I’m going to do in the fight, he said. I will be ready to fight anytime they want. I want to fight this year. Please, let me fight this year, and let me fight Jon Fitch.
Toquinho returned to training this week at Team Nogueira, and he’s happy to see his mother recover.
She’s way better now, he said. She doesn’t feel any pain anymore after the surgery. I’m feeling better now that I know she’s fine. It’s tough to see your mother in a situation like that. I did everything I could to help her.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- Savannah Marshall targets Commonwealth Games boxing gold to help put 2012 Olympic heartbreak behind her
Savannah Marshall is bidding for Commonwealth boxing gold to help put her 2012 Olympic misery behind her but kno...
- 2014/07/19 -- Demetrious Johnson-Chris Cariaso Flyweight Title Co-Main Event Joins UFC 177
Demetrious Johnson will defend his UFC flyweight title against Chris Cariaso at UFC 177.
UFC officials Tuesday ...
- 2014/07/20 -- Former Bantam Champ Cruz Returns This Fall
The wait is over for former UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz. Following nearly three years away from the ...
- 2014/07/23 -- Golovkin/Geale, Jennings/Perez New York City Media Workout Quotes
***Golovkin/Geale, Jennings/Perez New York City Media Workout Quotes***4
- 2014/07/19 -- TUF 8 winner Efrain Escudero signs with Titan, debuts on Aug. 22 card
A former Ultimate Fighter champion has found a home in the Titan Fighting Championships.
Efrain Escudero, the T...
- 2014/07/19 -- Katie Taylor defeats Denitsa Eliseeva to make her sixth successive European final
Katie Taylor made it six European finals in a row as she got the better of Denitsa Eliseeva on Friday.
- 2014/07/20 -- Floyd Mayweather-Marcos Maidana Rematch Set For Sept. 13 in Las Vegas
Floyd Mayweather officially announced via social media that his highly-anticipated rematch with Marcos Maidana i...
- 2014/07/19 -- Kantun looks to shine in U.S. debut Friday
Super flyweight Juan “El Loquito” Kantun (21-6-3, 15 KOs) of Merida, Yucatan, Mexico will make both his U.S. and...
- 2014/07/04 -- Silverback’s “Heavy Arsenal”
Lasalle, IL. The little giant, Phil Johns, has announced his retirement but continues to support and pr...
- 2014/07/19 -- Legacy FC 30: Reasons Why Fight Fans Should Be Excited For The April 4th Event (Part Three)
When the Legacy FC promotion rolls into town and joins forces with Fresquez Productions to host a monumental eve...
- 2014/07/20 -- AWE TV picks up Fury-Chisora grudge match
The July 26 heavyweight clash between Tyson Fury (22-0 16 KOs) and Dereck Chisora (20-4, 13 KOs) at the Phones 4...