RIO DE JANEIRO — World Series of Fighting welterweight champion Rousimar Palhares is back in the gym, and he’s training to beat Jon Fitch.
The leglock specialist asked to be taken off the WSOF 11 card on July 5 to assist his mother on her surgery for thrombosis in her legs, but Fitch, who was set to fight for the welterweight title, didn’t approve of his decision.
Fitch called Palhares unprofessional, wishing he had manned up and fought him. By saying that, he made things personal.
My family is my life, Palhares told MMAFighting.com. I was sad that he said those things, but I’m not bothered. We’ll settle our things inside the cage. I don’t hope he’s my next opponent, I want him to be. I’m coming after him. I will train for him. I want him.
I don’t know how the fight would go, he added, but I will be ready to do what I want.
After losing to Josh Burkman in his WSOF debut, Fitch returned to the win column with decision wins over Marcelo Alfaya and Dennis Hallman, but Palhares isn’t worried about Fitch’s recent performances.
I don’t care. I don’t even watch (his fights). I’m worried about myself and what I’m going to do in the fight, he said. I will be ready to fight anytime they want. I want to fight this year. Please, let me fight this year, and let me fight Jon Fitch.
Toquinho returned to training this week at Team Nogueira, and he’s happy to see his mother recover.
She’s way better now, he said. She doesn’t feel any pain anymore after the surgery. I’m feeling better now that I know she’s fine. It’s tough to see your mother in a situation like that. I did everything I could to help her.
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- Tapology Gives Insight To The Early Odds Of The Upcoming Legacy FC 30 Event
In just a few short weeks, the Legacy FC promotion will travel for the very first time to New Mexico where they ...
- 2014/07/20 -- Tony Bellew quick to re-open war of words with Nathan Cleverly
Tony Bellew reignited his fierce rivalry with Nathan Cleverly seconds after his fifth round stoppage of Julio Ce...
- 2014/07/20 -- Derry Mathews backs Luke Campbell to rule lightweight division
Derry Mathews has tipped Luke Campbell to become a future world champion ahead of his return to the ring.
- 2014/07/20 -- “The Dirty Bird” Returns To The UFC, Tim Means Signed Up For UFC In Cincinnati
Joining in on the fun of huge announcements, Tim “The Dirty Bird” Means had an eventful week that was significan...
- 2014/07/19 -- The must have fights of 2015
Every year I hope that the biggest fights in boxing will happen. I’m pretty much always disappointed but it does...
- 2014/07/19 -- Ali Bagautinov Tests Positive for Banned Substance Prior to UFC 174
Ali Bagautinov has allegedly tested positive for erythropoietin (EPO) in a June 2 out-of-competition test prior ...
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC Fight Night 45 and 46 preview, Holly Holm signing, UFC 177 discussion
There isn't merely one, but two UFC events this week. First up on the docket is tonight's UFC Fight Night 45, an...
- 2014/07/04 -- From the Shooto Association press secretary
SHOOTO Quarterly Report (part 1):
The first part of the year has come and gone, and we are already a cou...
- 2014/07/19 -- Stefan Struve ‘100 percent, definitely wants to fight,’ according to manager
It looks like Stefan Struve will return to the Octagon after all.
The 7-foot-tall heavyweight from the Netherla...
- 2014/07/21 -- Thomas Dulorme Eyes Mauricio Herrera Showdown
Thomas Dulorme Eyes Mauricio Herrera Showdown
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the ma...
- 2014/07/20 -- Injuries were a blessing in disguise heading into UFC Fight Night 45
Lucas Martins had his last two UFC fights canceled due to injuries, but that turned out to be great for the Chut...