Ricky Burns' new trainer Tony Sims says the Scottish fighter has not lost any of his desire or determination despite losing his world belt earlier this year.
The Scot’s reign as WBO lightweight champion was ended in March by a points defeat against Terence Crawford, but he will move back into title contention with a win over Dejan Zlaticanin on Friday, live on Sky Sports 3 from 8pm.
His meeting with the Montenegrin serves as an eliminator for the WBC title, currently held by Omar Figueroa, and Burns remains determined to rule this division after a 10-week camp with new trainer Sims in Essex.
Sims believes he has the desire needed to be a champion again, telling Sky Sports: “I’ve had fighters in the past that have lost important fights, you can see they’ve lost that bit of desire and will to do the extra bit that you need to do to be champion.
“And Ricky’s got that in abundance – if he’s left his wife and family behind in Scotland and moved down to Essex for 10 weeks for training and that takes a lot to do that.”
Burns himself feels like he is on top of his game to face Zlaticanin, who is undefeated in 18 fights, with 13 KOs.
“I was gutted losing my world title, it’s just made me more determined to go out there and prove a point to myself more than anything that I’ve still got it.
“I still believe that I do belong at a higher level.”
Burns feels the sacrifice of his Essex training camp was worth paying, saying: “The variety of training and that you’re doing, I think that’s what’s really got me here.
“Going down south, I knew it was going to be hard. Down there, you can concentrate fully on the boxing side of things, you’ve got no distractions at all.”
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/19 -- No Peace – Smith KOs Duke in One
ATLANTIC CITY, NJ, July 16 - Bantamweight veteran Leslie Smith wasn’t much of a “Peacemaker” against The Ultimat...
- 2014/07/20 -- Nathan Cleverly wants to dish out another defeat to Tony Bellew
Nathan Cleverly has vowed to inflict another defeat on bitter rival Tony Bellew, but first he must get past Alej...
- 2014/07/18 -- Alistair Overeem, Ben Rothwell Paired for UFC Fight Night in Connecticut
Alistair Overeem and Ben Rothwell are set to tangle when the Ultimate Fighting Championship heads to Connecticu...
- 2014/07/21 -- Thomas Dulorme Eyes Mauricio Herrera Showdown
Thomas Dulorme Eyes Mauricio Herrera Showdown
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the ma...
- 2014/07/19 -- Alex Arthur is backing Stephen Simmons to beat bitter rival Wadi Camacho
Alex Arthur is backing Stephen Simmons to do what he didn't do - and beat his bitter rival on home soil.
- 2014/07/20 -- Henry Cejudo, Jonathan Brookins Added to Legacy FC 34 in Mississippi
Legacy Fighting Championship has added Olympic gold medalist Henry Cejudo and UFC veteran Jonathan Brookins to i...
- 2014/07/19 -- Roy Jones Jr. to fight in Latvia
Former pound-for-pound king and four-division titleholder Roy Jones Jr. is scheduled to fight again.
- 2014/07/19 -- The Downes Side: UFN Atlantic City Predictions
That’s right boys and girls, it’s time for another edition of the Downes Side! I know last week may have been di...
- 2014/07/20 -- By The Numbers: A Tribute to BJ Penn
If BJ Penn is not one of your all-time favorite fighters then you’re doing it wrong.
At UFC 31, a 22-year-old B...
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC Fight Night 45 and 46 preview, Holly Holm signing, UFC 177 discussion
There isn't merely one, but two UFC events this week. First up on the docket is tonight's UFC Fight Night 45, an...
- 2014/07/20 -- Pacquiao-Chris Algieri on Nov. 22
Manny Pacquiao versus Chris Algieri is a done deal.
Algieri and his co-promoters, Joe DeGuardia of Star Boxing ...