Ricky Burns’ new trainer Tony Sims says the Scottish fighter has not lost any of his desire or determination despite losing his world belt earlier this year.
The Scot’s reign as WBO lightweight champion was ended in March by a points defeat against Terence Crawford, but he will move back into title contention with a win over Dejan Zlaticanin on Friday, live on Sky Sports 3 from 8pm.
His meeting with the Montenegrin serves as an eliminator for the WBC title, currently held by Omar Figueroa, and Burns remains determined to rule this division after a 10-week camp with new trainer Sims in Essex.
Sims believes he has the desire needed to be a champion again, telling Sky Sports: “I’ve had fighters in the past that have lost important fights, you can see they’ve lost that bit of desire and will to do the extra bit that you need to do to be champion.
“And Ricky’s got that in abundance – if he’s left his wife and family behind in Scotland and moved down to Essex for 10 weeks for training and that takes a lot to do that.”
Burns himself feels like he is on top of his game to face Zlaticanin, who is undefeated in 18 fights, with 13 KOs.
“I was gutted losing my world title, it’s just made me more determined to go out there and prove a point to myself more than anything that I’ve still got it.
“I still believe that I do belong at a higher level.”
Burns feels the sacrifice of his Essex training camp was worth paying, saying: “The variety of training and that you’re doing, I think that’s what’s really got me here.
“Going down south, I knew it was going to be hard. Down there, you can concentrate fully on the boxing side of things, you’ve got no distractions at all.”
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- Kevin Croom to Meet Anthony Birchak May 9th at MFC 40
Early Monday morning, Maximum Fighting Championship announced the signing of New Mexico based fighter Kevin Croo...
- 2014/07/19 -- Bernard Hopkins vs. Sergey Kovalev possible for November 8th at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York
Kovalev has a title defense coming up next month against unbeaten Blake Caparello (19-0-1, 6 KOs) on August 2nd ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Ali Bagautinov Tests Positive for Banned Substance Prior to UFC 174
Ali Bagautinov has allegedly tested positive for erythropoietin (EPO) in a June 2 out-of-competition test prior ...
- 2014/07/06 -- UFC 175 Quick Results
It’s 4th of July weekend and the UFC is putting on 2 events in 2 days in Las Vegas, Nevada; starting with UFC 1...
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC Fight Night 45 main card live blog: Donald Cerrone vs. Jim Miller, more
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – This is the UFC Fight Night 45 main card live blog for the UFC Fight Night 45 event at the...
- 2014/07/19 -- Irish boxer Katie Taylor wins Sportswoman of the month award for June
Irish boxer Katie Taylor could not contain her delight after scooping Sky’s Sportswoman of the Month award for J...
- 2014/07/20 -- UFC Women’s Bantamweight Champion Ronda Rousey Chooses Monster as Headphone Audio Partner
Monster Products, the world leader in high-performance headphones, and the Ultimate Fighting Championship® organ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Rocktagon 31 Fight Card Announced For March 29th, Features Several New Mexico Fighters
The Rocktagon MMA promotion has become a staple of Southwest MMA as they have stood on the fence between New Mex...
- 2014/07/19 -- Katie Taylor defeats Denitsa Eliseeva to make her sixth successive European final
Katie Taylor made it six European finals in a row as she got the better of Denitsa Eliseeva on Friday.
- 2014/07/19 -- Eddie Bravo Mends Fences with Ralek Gracie, Declines Invite to Compete at Metamoris 4
Eddie Bravo has laid relatively low since competing against Royler Gracie at Metamoris 3 in March.
- 2014/07/19 -- The Downes Side: UFN Atlantic City Predictions
That’s right boys and girls, it’s time for another edition of the Downes Side! I know last week may have been di...