Ricky Burns’ new trainer Tony Sims says the Scottish fighter has not lost any of his desire or determination despite losing his world belt earlier this year.
The Scot’s reign as WBO lightweight champion was ended in March by a points defeat against Terence Crawford, but he will move back into title contention with a win over Dejan Zlaticanin on Friday, live on Sky Sports 3 from 8pm.
His meeting with the Montenegrin serves as an eliminator for the WBC title, currently held by Omar Figueroa, and Burns remains determined to rule this division after a 10-week camp with new trainer Sims in Essex.
Sims believes he has the desire needed to be a champion again, telling Sky Sports: “I’ve had fighters in the past that have lost important fights, you can see they’ve lost that bit of desire and will to do the extra bit that you need to do to be champion.
“And Ricky’s got that in abundance – if he’s left his wife and family behind in Scotland and moved down to Essex for 10 weeks for training and that takes a lot to do that.”
Burns himself feels like he is on top of his game to face Zlaticanin, who is undefeated in 18 fights, with 13 KOs.
“I was gutted losing my world title, it’s just made me more determined to go out there and prove a point to myself more than anything that I’ve still got it.
“I still believe that I do belong at a higher level.”
Burns feels the sacrifice of his Essex training camp was worth paying, saying: “The variety of training and that you’re doing, I think that’s what’s really got me here.
“Going down south, I knew it was going to be hard. Down there, you can concentrate fully on the boxing side of things, you’ve got no distractions at all.”
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- Donald Cerrone finishes Jim Miller twice in one round
The second time around, there was no mistaking it for a low blow.
Cowboy Donald Cerrone thought he had the fini...
- 2014/07/19 -- Anthony Joshua focused on his fight against Matt Skelton in Liverpool
Anthony Joshua says it is important for him not to look too far ahead as he prepares for the seventh contest of ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Hand injury KOs David Price until December
Yesterday former British and Commonwealth heavyweight beltholder David Price (18-2, 15 KOs) underwent surgery to...
- 2014/07/20 -- King Of The Cage “Throwdown” Features Several Las Cruces Gyms And Fighters
Tonight is the night, later on this evening, April 19th, King of the Cage “Throwdown” will be live inside the La...
- 2014/07/19 -- Luke Campbell will return to the ring in Liverpool next month
Luke Campbell will end a five month absence from the ring when he returns to action in Liverpool next month.
- 2014/07/19 -- Edgar Seeks Three-Peat over Penn
There’s always a way of staying ahead of yourself and staying ahead of this evolving MMA game. That’s motivating...
- 2014/07/20 -- Carl Frampton ready for IBF super-bantamweight title showdown with Kiko Martinez
Carl Frampton has warned Kiko Martinez there will be 16,000 fans 'baying for his blood' when the duo slug it out...
- 2014/07/20 -- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
The Good: There is not much good I can say about this fight if I am honest with myself. I do believe that Algier...
- 2014/07/20 -- Inside The Mind Of Westside Power Gym’s Carlos Casados
MMA is well-known in the state of New Mexico as the area plays host to an array and mixture of talent spanning f...
- 2014/07/20 -- Jessica Andrade, Valerie Letourneau matched for UFC Fight Night 51 in Brazil
Jessica Andrade will take part in the second-ever UFC female fight in Brazil in September.
UFC announced Monday...
- 2014/07/19 -- Zurdo Ramirez: My punches land just as hard here as they do in the Western Hemisphere
Undefeated WBC/WBO #2, WBA #3, IBF #4 super middleweight contender Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez (28-0, 22 KOs) is re...