Ricky Burns’ new trainer Tony Sims says the Scottish fighter has not lost any of his desire or determination despite losing his world belt earlier this year.
The Scot’s reign as WBO lightweight champion was ended in March by a points defeat against Terence Crawford, but he will move back into title contention with a win over Dejan Zlaticanin on Friday, live on Sky Sports 3 from 8pm.
His meeting with the Montenegrin serves as an eliminator for the WBC title, currently held by Omar Figueroa, and Burns remains determined to rule this division after a 10-week camp with new trainer Sims in Essex.
Sims believes he has the desire needed to be a champion again, telling Sky Sports: “I’ve had fighters in the past that have lost important fights, you can see they’ve lost that bit of desire and will to do the extra bit that you need to do to be champion.
“And Ricky’s got that in abundance – if he’s left his wife and family behind in Scotland and moved down to Essex for 10 weeks for training and that takes a lot to do that.”
Burns himself feels like he is on top of his game to face Zlaticanin, who is undefeated in 18 fights, with 13 KOs.
“I was gutted losing my world title, it’s just made me more determined to go out there and prove a point to myself more than anything that I’ve still got it.
“I still believe that I do belong at a higher level.”
Burns feels the sacrifice of his Essex training camp was worth paying, saying: “The variety of training and that you’re doing, I think that’s what’s really got me here.
“Going down south, I knew it was going to be hard. Down there, you can concentrate fully on the boxing side of things, you’ve got no distractions at all.”
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- Conor McGregor: A True Believer
One of my favorite things to do in life is say I’m gonna do something and then go out and do it. There’s no bett...
- 2014/07/20 -- Henry Cejudo, Jonathan Brookins Added to Legacy FC 34 in Mississippi
Legacy Fighting Championship has added Olympic gold medalist Henry Cejudo and UFC veteran Jonathan Brookins to i...
- 2014/07/04 -- Lightning Strikes Twice
KOKOMO, IN--Last year, Donnie Michaels brought us the first Cage Rage in Kokomo and surprised everyone with a we...
- 2014/07/20 -- Ronda Rousey working to become ‘the female Rock’
Prior to her blistering 16-second TKO win over Alexis Davis at UFC 175, UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Alex Arthur is backing Stephen Simmons to beat bitter rival Wadi Camacho
Alex Arthur is backing Stephen Simmons to do what he didn't do - and beat his bitter rival on home soil.
- 2014/07/20 -- King Of The Cage “Rumble”: Quick Results and Play-By-Play
We are live inside the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Albuquerque, New Mexico for King of the Cage “Rumble”. Stay tuned t...
- 2014/07/20 -- Former world boxing champ Ricky Burns back in ring in Glasgow on Friday
Ricky Burns returns to the ring against Dejan Zlaticanin on Friday night for the first time since losing his WBO...
- 2014/07/20 -- Pacquiao-Chris Algieri on Nov. 22
Manny Pacquiao versus Chris Algieri is a done deal.
Algieri and his co-promoters, Joe DeGuardia of Star Boxing ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Zurdo Ramirez: My punches land just as hard here as they do in the Western Hemisphere
Undefeated WBC/WBO #2, WBA #3, IBF #4 super middleweight contender Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez (28-0, 22 KOs) is re...
- 2014/07/19 -- TUF 8 winner Efrain Escudero signs with Titan, debuts on Aug. 22 card
A former Ultimate Fighter champion has found a home in the Titan Fighting Championships.
Efrain Escudero, the T...
- 2014/07/20 -- Ralek Gracie denies rumors of Kenny Florian appearing in ‘secret match’ at Metamoris 4
Some disappointing news for fans hoping to see UFC fighter turned commentator Kenny Florian hit the mats next mo...