Ricky Burns' new trainer Tony Sims says the Scottish fighter has not lost any of his desire or determination despite losing his world belt earlier this year.
The Scot’s reign as WBO lightweight champion was ended in March by a points defeat against Terence Crawford, but he will move back into title contention with a win over Dejan Zlaticanin on Friday, live on Sky Sports 3 from 8pm.
His meeting with the Montenegrin serves as an eliminator for the WBC title, currently held by Omar Figueroa, and Burns remains determined to rule this division after a 10-week camp with new trainer Sims in Essex.
Sims believes he has the desire needed to be a champion again, telling Sky Sports: “I’ve had fighters in the past that have lost important fights, you can see they’ve lost that bit of desire and will to do the extra bit that you need to do to be champion.
“And Ricky’s got that in abundance – if he’s left his wife and family behind in Scotland and moved down to Essex for 10 weeks for training and that takes a lot to do that.”
Burns himself feels like he is on top of his game to face Zlaticanin, who is undefeated in 18 fights, with 13 KOs.
“I was gutted losing my world title, it’s just made me more determined to go out there and prove a point to myself more than anything that I’ve still got it.
“I still believe that I do belong at a higher level.”
Burns feels the sacrifice of his Essex training camp was worth paying, saying: “The variety of training and that you’re doing, I think that’s what’s really got me here.
“Going down south, I knew it was going to be hard. Down there, you can concentrate fully on the boxing side of things, you’ve got no distractions at all.”
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/20 -- IBF super-featherweight title success for Rances Barthelemy in Miami
Rances Barthelemy is the new IBF super-featherweight champion after a unanimous points win over Argenis Mendez i...
- 2014/07/20 -- Inside The Mind Of Westside Power Gym’s Carlos Casados
MMA is well-known in the state of New Mexico as the area plays host to an array and mixture of talent spanning f...
- 2014/07/19 -- WBA/WBO champion Rigondeaux vows more aggression; calls out WBC and IBF champs
Undefeated unified junior featherweight world champion and Cuban sensation Guillermo “El Chacal” Rigondeaux (13-...
- 2014/07/21 -- Tyson Fury dismisses misconduct charge ahead of Chisora heavyweight fight
Tyson Fury dismisses misconduct charge ahead of Chisora heavyweight fight
Tyson Fury insists prepa...
- 2014/07/19 -- Legacy FC 30: Reasons Why Fight Fans Should Be Excited For The April 4th Event (Part Three)
When the Legacy FC promotion rolls into town and joins forces with Fresquez Productions to host a monumental eve...
- 2014/07/20 -- Ex-Bantamweight Champ Dominick Cruz to Return Against Takeya Mizugaki at UFC 178
Former UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is set to return to the cage after nearly three years on the she...
- 2014/07/04 -- Intensity in Racine
RACINE, WI--Less than twenty four hours after his battle with Chris Lytle, just outside of St. Louis, Dave Stras...
- 2014/07/20 -- Palacios returns September 20
Former two time world title challenger Francisco “Wizard” Palacios (21-2, 13 KOs) returns to the ring on Septemb...
- 2014/07/04 -- Reality Submission Challenge
Bethalto, IL-- When anybody talks to promoter, Mike Griffin, about submission wrestling, they can see ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Demetrious Johnson-Chris Cariaso Flyweight Title Co-Main Event Joins UFC 177
Demetrious Johnson will defend his UFC flyweight title against Chris Cariaso at UFC 177.
UFC officials Tuesday ...
- 2014/07/19 -- Stefan Struve ‘100 percent, definitely wants to fight,’ according to manager
It looks like Stefan Struve will return to the Octagon after all.
The 7-foot-tall heavyweight from the Netherla...