Ricky Burns' new trainer Tony Sims says the Scottish fighter has not lost any of his desire or determination despite losing his world belt earlier this year.
The Scot’s reign as WBO lightweight champion was ended in March by a points defeat against Terence Crawford, but he will move back into title contention with a win over Dejan Zlaticanin on Friday, live on Sky Sports 3 from 8pm.
His meeting with the Montenegrin serves as an eliminator for the WBC title, currently held by Omar Figueroa, and Burns remains determined to rule this division after a 10-week camp with new trainer Sims in Essex.
Sims believes he has the desire needed to be a champion again, telling Sky Sports: “I’ve had fighters in the past that have lost important fights, you can see they’ve lost that bit of desire and will to do the extra bit that you need to do to be champion.
“And Ricky’s got that in abundance – if he’s left his wife and family behind in Scotland and moved down to Essex for 10 weeks for training and that takes a lot to do that.”
Burns himself feels like he is on top of his game to face Zlaticanin, who is undefeated in 18 fights, with 13 KOs.
“I was gutted losing my world title, it’s just made me more determined to go out there and prove a point to myself more than anything that I’ve still got it.
“I still believe that I do belong at a higher level.”
Burns feels the sacrifice of his Essex training camp was worth paying, saying: “The variety of training and that you’re doing, I think that’s what’s really got me here.
“Going down south, I knew it was going to be hard. Down there, you can concentrate fully on the boxing side of things, you’ve got no distractions at all.”
Related Fight Posts
- 2014/07/19 -- Donald Cerrone vs. Jim Miller full fight video highlights
Round 1: Well, this is expected to be a wild one...here we go. Dan Miragliotta is the ref. They touch gloves, an...
- 2014/07/19 -- UFC Fight Night Albuquerque Tingley Coliseum Pre-Sale Tickets are Available, Here’s the Code!
UFC Fight Night Albuquerque Tickets are now on Pre-Sale, Get them before they are available to the public April ...
- 2014/07/20 -- Amir Khan will fight Floyd Mayweather but Manny Pacquiao is on hit-list next
Amir Khan insists the widely-touted fight between him and Floyd Mayweather Jnr will happen – though his next sho...
- 2014/07/19 -- Dustin Holyko Fought at WSOF 11 Without License From Florida Commission
The Dustin Holyko story continues to unfold with news that the convicted felon was allowed to compete at last we...
- 2014/07/04 -- From the Shooto Association press secretary
SHOOTO Quarterly Report (part 1):
The first part of the year has come and gone, and we are already a cou...
- 2014/07/20 -- UFC Bantamweight Queen Ronda Rousey Named ‘Best Female Athlete’ at 2014 ESPYs
UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has added another accolade to her name, winning the 2014 ESPY for...
- 2014/07/20 -- Abel Cullum, Hunter Tucker Offer Their Insight On Ray Borg and Nick Urso Before Their Legacy FC 30 Bout
Tomorrow night the landscape of the Flyweight division within the State of New Mexico will be re-shaped when FIT...
- 2014/07/19 -- Alex Arthur is backing Stephen Simmons to beat bitter rival Wadi Camacho
Alex Arthur is backing Stephen Simmons to do what he didn't do - and beat his bitter rival on home soil.
- 2014/07/04 -- Fightzone Finishing The Year With A Bang
Toledo, OH. Dave and Lori Gomez have consistently proved that their abilities to market mixed martial arts to th...
- 2014/07/19 -- Zurdo Ramirez: My punches land just as hard here as they do in the Western Hemisphere
Undefeated WBC/WBO #2, WBA #3, IBF #4 super middleweight contender Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez (28-0, 22 KOs) is re...
- 2014/07/19 -- White Buffalo zooms in on KZN
Former boxers Hardy Mileham and Francois Botha intend to revive the sport in KwaZulu-Natal. The two have formed ...